2nd handed Zipp 303 vs Reynolds Assault vs FFWD F4R

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ZIPP vs Reynolds vs FFWD

2nd handed Zipp 303 2012
13%
Reynolds Assault 2015
38%
FFWD F4R 2015
50%

Total votes: 8

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Hey guys, I'm looking for a set of wheels for my bike that's coming in 3 days and I'm trying to figure out which wheelset I should get. I have a buddy of mine that wants to sell his 2012 Zipp 303 tubulars for around the same price as the other two wheelset mentioned. However the other two wheelset would be brand new 2015 ones while the ZIPPs are 2012. All of the wheels mentioned are tubulars. I'm wondering which wheelset would be the best choice since I would be using it for racing and daily riding. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Its possible that your buddy is looking for too much money. There is not much of a 2nd market for tubular wheels. He should probably expect less than 1/2 price. If he throws on new rubber then I might bite otherwise there are a lot of options for you. Those you mentioned are fine but also consider Boyd.

PrettyA

by PrettyA

mimason wrote:Its possible that your buddy is looking for too much money. There is not much of a 2nd market for tubular wheels. He should probably expect less than 1/2 price. If he throws on new rubber then I might bite otherwise there are a lot of options for you. Those you mentioned are fine but also consider Boyd.

So your suggestion is to just get new wheels compared to the 2nd handed Zipps? Because right now, I'm thinking about just getting some new wheels mentioned above

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

After we had a customer bring in a Boyd wheel where the rim had started to delaminate along the brake track I swore off Boyd products.

mimason

by mimason

^ tubular?

bombertodd

by bombertodd

mattyNorm wrote:After we had a customer bring in a Boyd wheel where the rim had started to delaminate along the brake track I swore off Boyd products.

With that logic, there wouldn't be any companies to build a bike with. :noidea:

1415chris

by 1415chris

Zipp 303 tubular 2012, hmm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com