Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

maxxevv wrote:This I believe is a FM166, an open mold frameset based on the rather popular FM066. I believe it uses 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" headset.

Oops... its not, but I have seen it somewhere before. Here's the FM166:

DengFu and HongFu are listing the FM-166 at the moment, and HongFu are also listing the fork as a separate item. Correct that it is a 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 " headset.

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/2013-Disc-brake-Road-Fork-288.html

An email reply from DengFu mentioned that they are currently making 54 & 56cm frames and other sizes will be a while. Cost was USD $520 for F&F and shipping to Aus was USD $70.

Tempting indeed, but I am smack in the middle of the 56 & 58cm sizes !!! :evil:

I should get my Volagi Liscio v2 frame shortly, so will post some pics and weights when it comes.

tharmor

by tharmor

I ask for your patience with my ignorance for what seemingly is an obvious question, but I just want to make sure...

If I wanted to update my non-disc compatible frame (Cervelo rs) so that it is running a disc front, and canti rear - I would need to do the following ::

1. Upgrade the fork to a road disc fork, as shown above
2. Upgrade the wheelset with a disc ready hub (front only)
3. Upgrade to mechanical disc brakes.

If I'm running ultegra at the moment, do I need anything special to actuate the brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You understand what you need to do.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

bm0p700f wrote:You understand what you need to do.

Nailed it. Pretty simple really.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

tharmor wrote:
Also, Berk - can you read the language of that website? I'm curios to know the wheel build. What are our hub options when building a wheel?

There are already OEM wheelsets what are in the 24/28 config with 50mm carbon rims and 6-bolt disc mounts.

And yes as Jure pointed out, they are Novatec hubs.

But in any case, those these frames are 130 spacing, they seem to fit alright with 135mm hubs. ( But may not apply to all frames though ... ).
I tried my DT240s centerlock wheelsets on R1.1 rims and 700x28c tyres on my WS-02 frameset. It fits, though you need to nudge the stays that 1~2mm for the hubs to fit in.

Went for spin around the carpark and all held up well and tracked true.

But to be completely sure that its actually alright to do it, a prolonged test to see if there's any detriment to the frame or if handling at high speeds is compromised from doing this.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

tharmor wrote:
Berk wrote:Just saw this today: http://apace-bikes.de/c1rd-carbon-disc- ... -prototyp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, that frame is an oem frame made by HungFu and rebranded by Apace, right?

The frame used by Apache is not the FM-166, as the rear caliper mount is completely different. No idea of where it is from though.

Like the colour but :thumbup:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not the FM166, its the FM65, also available from Hongfu as the follow-up pict I posted shows.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Or is it this frame listed in Alibaba as a MT-MC115-D as well. Looks closer to FM-166, but isn't

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/737635969/Road_disk_brake_carbon_frame_2013.html

maddog 2

by maddog 2

tharmor wrote:3. Upgrade to mechanical disc brakes.

If I'm running ultegra at the moment, do I need anything special to actuate the brakes?

Just make sure you get road disc calipers, to match your Ultegra STI. Some calipers are designed to work with V-brake levers, which pull more cable.

tharmor

by tharmor

Another shot of the Apace rig. I think it looks fantastic. I know nothing about the frame, and can't find a single review on it.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

the Apache looks good. Pity they've gone with a the flying rear brake mount - the chainstay mounted versions look much tidier IMO, and maybe then you don't need a bracing strut...? And 130mm rear spacing is just daft. 135 and all the mtb hubs come into play. 130 and you're stuck with hardly any.

It's getting close now... all we need is a few designers with their heads screwed on and we'll be there.

ms6073

by ms6073

tharmor wrote:I believe that HongFu is a reseller, but DengFu actually builds in-house.
Having purchased several framesets from them, I am pretty sure DengFu is also a trading company but are co-located in the same building as one of the manufacturers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tharmor

by tharmor

Also, if and when I had a bike exactly like the Apace pictured above running mechanical disc brakes, to upgrade to hydraulic discs, all I would need is the brakes/calipers themselves, right?

Everything else would be already in place, ie hubset, fork mounts, etc.

And, why aren't these frames using internal cable routing for the disc brakes as well? Is there something about the nature of the brake cables that doesn't allow for this?

Btw - is it just me or do disc brakes look completely badass when paired with deep section carbon rims?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

tharmor wrote:Also, if and when I had a bike exactly like the Apace pictured above running mechanical disc brakes, to upgrade to hydraulic discs, all I would need is the brakes/calipers themselves, right?

Everything else would be already in place, ie hubset, fork mounts, etc.

Yep

Colin

by Colin

I'd assume most of them don't have internal routing because they are anticipating hydraulic brakes, and internally routing hydraulic cables sucks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com