SRM PC8 and water

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Got caught in a nice Maui tropical downpour today and my PC8 took on water like a sinking ship... the displays were flipping through themselves, the buttons became unresponsive... the good thing is, even through all this mess, it actually recorded all but about 2km of the ride... There is still alot of condensation behind the clear lense, and the buttons are not very responsive... already sent an email off to SRM about it... My PC8 is 2 years old now, so one of the originals.... anyone else have water issues?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Hmmm, I had exact same problem in the first couple of weeks. It would be from a similar generation to yours. Sent it back and got a replacement, it has been rock solid ever since. Been in far worse rain than the original downpour too.

mrgray

by mrgray

yes i had one of the originals and it was not water proof enough (although to be fair it did survive laundry day once). it would get upset about sweat for instance (buttons not functioning).

i have a newer one now and it does seem much better.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

uraqt

by uraqt

When the PC8 was releaed it wasn't waterproof. There is a nother thread about it here someplace... I was going to get one untill I read that it wasn't waterpoof.

C

bas

by bas

Had same problem, was replaced, no issue since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

mine has been out in in heavy rain many many times, well over two years now, no issue at all (touch wood)

avispa

by avispa

I have a PC8 with serial number 204, so I would assume it was one of the "new ones". I have not had any issues with rain and condensation. I also live in a tropical area, maybe not as tropical as Hawaii (So Florida). But as others have mentioned, hopefully you will get a prompt response and replacement from SRM.

Please keep us informed as to how that goes as I have expereinced a lot of delays and slow response from the Colorado Service Center. Would like to know if that has changed.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Mine is SN 2274 so still an early model.. SRM goes in waves on response time Ive noticed... sometimes they write back to me within minutes, other times its been days.. not much I can do til Im back home... have to send an older PM down for new battery and recal anyways... now I need to find my speed pod again for the old PC7 since it doesnt have GPS...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Just an update..The guy I normally email directly was unresponsive so I emailed the generic usa email lastnite and woke up this morning in Hawaii with a response.. they sent me a copy fo the return work form and assured me it would be a 1-2 day turn around.. Only crappy thing with all this is being from Canada, to get the unit down there in any quick time frame (ie 2 day fedex or UPS) will literally cost me probably $100... I replied back asking them what the chances are of them attempting a repair vs just giving me a new unit is... Told them I would pay for a new unit, and get this one sent back and they could just credit me back when this dead one arrives.. I figure its worth a shot... the worst they say is no right...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I got my PC8 back today (it took a week total from send to return to Canada) Its still my old case, but the touch pad and clear lens look new... all the statement said was replaced touchpad... dunno... it looks like its all working though! Fast service overall, but little to no response after the initial email...

avispa

by avispa

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm
I got my PC8 back today (it took a week total from send to return to Canada) Its still my old case, but the touch pad and clear lens look new... all the statement said was replaced touchpad... dunno... it looks like its all working though! Fast service overall, but little to no response after the initial email...
I think the SRM Service Center in the USA is running on a shoe string, very similar to some of these these start-ups: one person doing many things. They will answer emails when they can and hardly, if ever answer a phone call.

However, if your computer was fixed prompltly and all is good, that is great news and what really matters. I personally think the repaired one will be good for years. I would not be surprised if they replaced the guts of it if they found a lot of moisture.

When you started the thread I started to believe that SRM was going downhill since they stopped selling third party power meters, etc. But it seems they are still there.

Cheers!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

avispa wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:42 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm
I think the SRM Service Center in the USA is running on a shoe string, very similar to some of these these start-ups: one person doing many things. They will answer emails when they can and hardly, if ever answer a phone call.

However, if your computer was fixed prompltly and all is good, that is great news and what really matters. I personally think the repaired one will be good for years. I would not be surprised if they replaced the guts of it if they found a lot of moisture.

When you started the thread I started to believe that SRM was going downhill since they stopped selling third party power meters, etc. But it seems they are still there.

Cheers!
I have been using SRM powermeters for over 20 years now and was initially a customer of the German office before the US office opened up. I have always had excellent service from the folks in Co Springs. Someone always answers the phone if the office is open and they are always very helpful.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Gotta say, I share @bdaGhisallos experience with SRM USA. They’ve always been really good. And responsive. When the four arm Campy crank version came out I said I’d like one but with the previous “SR11” graphic on it, as opposed to the new SRM only style. They actually “vectorized” the old graphic to fit the new spider and did a run of about 100 of these decals, because I asked. They don’t advertise them on their website, but if you wanted one you could get one with that decal. And any technical questions I’ve had they’ve covered very well. I’ve never had to use them for any warranty service. They seem to never skip a beat. I use the Garmin head units however.
I have heard of water issues with the PC8 head units which is really strange considering how expensive it is and the conditions it will be used in. That has to be a big embarrassment for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I had an issue with water vapor seeping into my first PC8 and SRM USA replaced it without question or fuss. The replacement has been flawless for two years now.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Id agree, overall SRM has been great with me.. and I hope they keep it alive so to sy with so many other companies out there... They ctually made me a 135 BCD Campagnolo Cannondale model 7 years ago.. still works perfectly.. On a sidenote I enquired today with them about Campagnolo 12 spd.. I was a little confused with the response.. thay said they had no plans to design a 12 spd specific unit... said that the current one would work or the origin option worked with miche rings... I mailed back and said I though the crank and rings were 12 spd specific, he said that the 12 spd rings fit the current model, but they wouldnt be stocking them...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com