Shimano DA 9000 11sp - any compatibility with Campag 11sp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

s4life

by s4life

Oops didn't see this... thanks. It sounds promising indeed.

bikerjulio wrote:In a thread a couple of weeks ago, a mechanic was having trouble getting a Campy SR setup to shift cleanly.

In the course of trying a bunch of things he swapped in a Shimano 11 rear wheel, and said it shifted BETTER than on the Campy cassette.

Bit of an update as I've had chance to do further investigation and testing today.

Carried out a friction test/return spring test on the rear shift today as prescribed by one of the UK campy service agents, passed this test with no problem whatsoever in both chain rings so I think it's safe to say cable friction is not the issue.

I decided to try an 11 speed d/a cassette, as a bit of a left field idea, which we have mounted on one of our demo wheels(mavic r-sys) just to see if it made a difference -It did! with the 9000 cassette the indexing was spot on with no lazy shifts or needing to over-shift.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117928

12x23

by 12x23

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/ ... eed_301392

Above is a link to Velonews and Lennard Zinn discussing 11sp Campy, Sram, Shimano compatibility. What got my interest is near the last paragraph on how to run 11sp Shimano or Sram using wheels with a Shimano splined freehub body not compatible with 11sp but that do have the capability of swapping the freehub body to Campy. Cut and pasted below;

"However, there is a fix for those with wheels that are not convertible to Shimano 11-speed freehubs but that offer Campagnolo freehubs (as you might imagine, Shimano is not one of those). You can install a Campagnolo freehub body on your wheel and get a Campagnolo 11-speed cogset. It will shift fine with a Shimano or SRAM 11-speed system."
Lennard Zinn

I have Campy and Shimano freehub bodies for my old 404's and 202's. Anxious to give this a try when I pick up a Dura-Ace 9000 group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

s4life

by s4life

I ride Campy and I am not sure what the rest of campy riders think, but when it comes to buying 11-speed compatible wheels, the choices are either very limited or very expensive. The used market for wheels is shimano dominated and it's really hard to get a nice deal on campy wheelsets. Sure you can do the conversion and spend extra time/money buying the freehub, but this is not always possible and it's an extra hassle. Buying an expensive wheelset is hassle enough:)

Anyway, I hope this opens up the market for everybody and at some point every 11-speed system is officially declared cross-compatible, at least when it comes to wheel sets. In the meanwhile, I'll give it a try -- I have an extra 9000 wheelset and my setup is SR11:)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Quick update. I now have about 1000 miles on my C59 with 9070 di2. I am running a campy sr11 rear cassette in 12/25 mounted on gen3 lightweight carbon clinchers. It shifts flawless. Believe it or not it actually shifts a little better than my dedicated shimano 11 speed wheelset with dura ace 11 sped rear cassette. I can easily swap out the two wheels and they shift perfectly!!!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

s4life wrote:I ride Campy and I am not sure what the rest of campy riders think, but when it comes to buying 11-speed compatible wheels, the choices are either very limited or very expensive. The used market for wheels is shimano dominated and it's really hard to get a nice deal on campy wheelsets. Sure you can do the conversion and spend extra time/money buying the freehub, but this is not always possible and it's an extra hassle. Buying an expensive wheelset is hassle enough:)

Anyway, I hope this opens up the market for everybody and at some point every 11-speed system is officially declared cross-compatible, at least when it comes to wheel sets. In the meanwhile, I'll give it a try -- I have an extra 9000 wheelset and my setup is SR11:)

Don't understand this comment at all.

I can buy campy compatible hubs for the same price (or close) as shimano for wheelbuilding purposes. If I want to buy factory wheels there's campy themselves or several other vendors.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

s4life

by s4life

bikerjulio wrote:
s4life wrote:I ride Campy and I am not sure what the rest of campy riders think, but when it comes to buying 11-speed compatible wheels, the choices are either very limited or very expensive. The used market for wheels is shimano dominated and it's really hard to get a nice deal on campy wheelsets. Sure you can do the conversion and spend extra time/money buying the freehub, but this is not always possible and it's an extra hassle. Buying an expensive wheelset is hassle enough:)

I can buy campy compatible hubs for the same price (or close) as shimano for wheelbuilding purposes. If I want to buy factory wheels there's campy themselves or several other vendors.

You missed the word "used". It's just a numbers game.. 11 speed campy isn't very common and buying wheelsets that are 11-speed compatible requires a lot more patience that's all. But sure, you can pay retail and buy anything.

Sam

by Sam

More confirmations that 11s Shimano cassette and chain work with Campagnolo shifter and derailleur?

reippuert

by reippuert

I'd like to know too.

I'm currently on Chorus 2008 on a set of boxed sectioned Record/OpenPro Ceramics, but i'm running an 11 speed Chorus rear deraillur (switching between 12-23 chorus and 13-29 veloce cassettes).

I really need the 29t for climbing in southern france during the summer and the 13t is not high enough for flatland riding here in denmark - 10 speed requires me to ride two cassettes. On 11 speed i could do with one. So far the costs of the 12-29 11 speed Chorus cassette has kept me from going 11-speed.

Now, I have just bough a NOS set of Reynolds 2012 wheels on DT240s with a Shimano 9-10 speed body which needs to be swapped.

The right thing would be to get a campy freehub body for the Reynolds wheel set and maybe switch to 11 speed a shell out some euros for new 11-speed ergo's and a Chorus chain/cassette (12-29).

If i'm going 11 speed, i could get the 11 speed shimano free hub body instead and get a Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette + chain (and of course a 11 speed-ergos).

it would be cheaper + a lot easier to get replacement chains/cassettes in the future.

But will i work, or will it work less than optimal?
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

s4life wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

You missed the word "used". It's just a numbers game.. 11 speed campy isn't very common and buying wheelsets that are 11-speed compatible requires a lot more patience that's all. But sure, you can pay retail and buy anything.

You missed too.

Any Campy hub from the 9-speed days of the late '90's up to today is 11-speed compatible. So it's fairly common. So that opens the used choices up a little to any Campy wheel made in about the last 14 years..
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sam

by Sam

reippuert wrote:

it would be cheaper + a lot easier to get replacement chains/cassettes in the future.

But will i work, or will it work less than optimal?

I run the following setup:
Campagnolo Chorus 11s Ergolever,
Campagnolo Athena 11s rear derailleur,
Shimano Ultegra 6700 (10s) front derailleur,
Shimano Ultegra 6800 (11s) cassette minus 16T sprocket,
Shimano Dura Ace 9000 (11s) chain,
Shimano 7900 (10s) rear hub

..and it works great in the workshop. I caught a cold and haven't had time to test it more than a 2 minute ride home from the workshop.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

On my Signal Team CX bike, I'm going to run Shimano 6800 and a set of Campy 11 White Industries / Pacenti SL23 wheels.
I'm hoping I don't have to buy the White Industries Shimano freehub conversion.
If not, that would be amazing. From every outlet I'm reading, my Campy 11 speed wheelset should work fine with the 6800 group.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

RussellS

by RussellS

reippuert wrote:I really need the 29t for climbing in southern france during the summer

If i'm going 11 speed, i could get the 11 speed shimano free hub body instead and get a Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette + chain (and of course a 11 speed-ergos).

Shimano also makes an 11-32 11 speed cassette in Ultegra. If you need low gears for mountains, and going with Shimano 11 speed cassette, then might as well get the lowest gear you can with a 32 cog.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 1___202424

JimmyRingo

by JimmyRingo

I've looked this up on here but still left a bit confused.

I have a set of Shamal Ultras, currently run with Chorus 11, and want to keep hold of these when I move to Dura Ace 11sp. I've read that I can just keep the Campag 11sp freehub/cassette on and run the wheel as is with a DA chain etc

Is this so or do I need to buy a new freehub that will replace the Campag one? Anybody running this kind of setup?

Cheers all.

There is a 5 page thread on it, two pages back. Please use the Road Index.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

According to Lennard Zinn it will work fine:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/ ... ity_307163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will be able to test this next year when I upgrade to Shimano 11sp. I have a Shamal and the freehubs for both Shimano and Campy (I am currently running 10sp Shimano).

Enviado de meu Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JimmyRingo

by JimmyRingo

I'm going to be ordering the groupset tonight, so we'll soon see if this works! I bought the Shamals, did the Marmotte with them and used them around four times all in all so it'd be a shame to get rid of them. However, if needs be.... tail will not be wagging the dog, groupset and frame combo comes first.

Thanks for the link, I discovered that earlier also.