anyone here regret their parlee?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beans

by Beans

I would like to get a parlee z4; however, the only reviews i read are ecstatic joyful reviews from gerriatric grandfondo riders. I wanted to know if anyone here actually races or trains on their parlee and if so how do you guys feel about it? Am i better off getting some mass produced carbon cornflake like a supersix? I know that parlee makes light bikes, but are they stiff and comfy aswell?

Any info would be appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadwell

by shadwell

I regret not having one..... :(

I've not heard any negative re their product, you'd likely be a very happy customer.

Musiker

by Musiker

Interesting question.. I can't answer yet. Because I'm not done building mine yet..

But I read some critisim about Bob Parlee's ability design bikes - Can't seem to find the link again!

Anyways I would also like to hear if anyone have had negative experience with the Company. Always nice to know what to expect if I get problems of some sort.

/Henrik

eigner

by eigner

Best bike frames I have ever ridden.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

dj97223

by dj97223

Great company to deal with. Contact Tom Rodi there if you have any questions.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Roobay

by Roobay

I only have a Z4 but never regretted buying it, a friend has a Z3 which is even stiffer, but ive done 7+ hours on a 100mls Sportive without any comfort problems, i couldnt for instance have done that on my Cervelo SLC SL, i dont think you will find a better made carbon frame and with lightweight tendencies for the price, also whwen youre out on a club run,it stands out from the crowd, and gets lots of admirers...
Buy one you wont regret it
cheers
jr
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

ms6073

by ms6073

Beans wrote:the only reviews i read are ecstatic joyful reviews from gerriatric grandfondo riders.

I would suspect that is because that demographic are in the best position to be able to afford one. :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm still kind of pissed I didn't wait and get a z5
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

bartali

by bartali

Z3 and Z4 and no regrets from this 'geriatric grandfondo rider'.

dj97223

by dj97223

OP, do a search here (back a few years) and you can find comments by that geriatric granfondo rider Zakeen, talking about his Parlee.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

OrPe

by OrPe

I am a bit geriatric (that's when you hit 40, right :wink: ?), and have owned, at the following order:
Giant carbon something vintage 2000, Santa cruz roadster, Look kg381i, cervelo soloist alu, cerveloR25, Cervelo R3 and now a Parlee Z4.
I have also ridden quite a bit Look585 and 595Ultra (not mine).
I do not race, and weigh ~85Kg as of today. riding a medium frame. i appreciate a stiff bike with a comfortable ride.

I would say that comparing the Parlee (Z4) to the Cervelo R3 (known as a very stiff / racy bike), the Parlee is just as stiff (i cannot tell a difference in stiffness), yet it is much, much more comfortable and has a much more refined ride.

It built just as light as the cervelo (maybe 100gr more, hitting 7.3Kg with record10, neutron clinchers, Ea70 stem/HBar, Ec90 post, LookPP396 pedals and Selle something seat. no weenie parts on that bike).

If i compare the Look595Ultra to the Z4 than i would say the 595Ultra is a tiny bit stiffer (totally neglect-able) and maybe has a bit more refined ride.

Only bike i would consider swapping the Z4 for is the Look595 Origin, or a look585.
This is probably not driven by the ride characteristics, rather is driven by the fact that i really want a look, it is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet in my eyes ( :oops: ), and has a ride that is similar/a tiny bit more refined than the Z4.

I do not race any more, but (i believe) i do know how to appreciate a bike; you probably will never regret getting a Z4.

Take the Z4.
If you still hesitate, picking a 585Ultra/595 is a darn good idea as well.
Oren.
Last edited by OrPe on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have a Parlee Z3 Custom with SL tubing.
roughly:
-56cm top-tube
-UD carbon & UD carbon lugs (I think they just wrap the 3k lugs with UD carbon so they are double wrapped, which is good. It would only add stiffness and just a little weight)
-168 Head tube length
-I am 5'11
-130 lbs (yes not huge)
-33 years old.

I have had my Z3 for 2 1/2 years and ride in 12-18 hrs a week. I originally had an issue when I ordered mine becuse is was off in the measurments (in the processes of making a carbon frame things can change a little bit and they did). So they made me a completly new frame.
With the help of Tom at Parlee and the LBS (customer service is only as good as your LBS is) all was taken care of. I almost canceled the order because it was going to take 2 more months, but descided to continue and get the frame.
Tom at Parlee & the LBS made sure it was that the beginning of the line so it would be made ASAP. And it was.
Parlee was great with this and the LBS was great as well.

You can't go wrong with a company that has their type of busness mentality (i.e. We just want to make good bikes).
I spoke with Tom at Interbike and I don't think he would me mind quoteing him. I asked him why Parlee didn't have a booth, he said (in a nutshell),"It's just not how we do business, we just want to make good bikes for shops and people who want them".

Now to the bike. I have ridden it a lot.

-I ride 12-18 hrs a week (training & racing)

It really is the best balance between light/stiff/agile/smooth
I use the term smooth because I think it is more appropriate that comfortable. (comfortable sounds too soft. I is definatly not soft, but it is definatly not harsh.
VERY SMOOTH
I know Madcow from FWB has expressed similar thoughts and I believe he has a Z1, Z3, Z4, and I bet he has a Z5 now as well, which says something positive. (I could be wrong, I don't want to put words in his mouth).

I have spend a hard hour on it for hillclimbs and I really like it's quickness and lightweght.
I also, spent 12 hours on it for a 206 mile race as well, without any real soreness.
(And I primarily use a Sella Italia SLR kit carbonio saddle, 125-ish grams, NOT VERY SOFT)
I am not a geriactric, but I am not a Petacchi either (bad spelling I am sure).

I think the layed-up carbon to the precisely cut tubing that make it feel so precise.

If it is in the budget I don't believe you will ever regret it.
The only regret people have is when they get one and they really prefer the Ferrari look (pina, colnago paint, flashy graphics etc..) but you will never regret the ride. I 'm quite certain.

Hope this is helpfull.
Last edited by carbon2329 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

OrPe

by OrPe

another thing i forgot in my first rely,

Prior to taking the Z4, i had some Pm's going back-n-forth between me and Pez on this forum (Charles Manantan ?), and he clearly recommended this frame as one of the best options available today.
this guy has ridden them all (Colnagos, Parlees, Looks and much more), and thinks this is as good a choice as any other top pick.

you can read his review here http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6001

Oren

Beans

by Beans

thanks guys this is really helpful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

I just bought a Z4...... :P I'm sooo excited to get it built...will post pics as soon as....