Shamal goes 'pop'

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

Thought i would post this as i have never had a rim go bang on me before.... I have had them for just under 3 years and used them quite a lot. I knew that the rim was worn as i could feel it, but there are no indicators on it so couldn't really tell how worn. Luckily i had just descended and was on the flat when it literally exploded, so i managed to come to a controlled stop. My cycling buddy thought he had been shot it was so loud!!

Any how, its worth checking your rims out and if in doubt get your LBS to have a look, if it had been the front or on a decent then it would have been nasty....

I also think those Swissstop green pads wore it quite quick!!??

Cheers,
Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

A bit of JB Weld on there and you'll be good to go :lol:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

CBJ

by CBJ

Well they do have the word "sham" in them so I guess its expected.

Willier

by Willier

How the hell did you manage to wear out the rear wheel more then the front one? :shock: :noidea:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A lot of folks not familiar with optimum breaking technique wear out the rear first. In this case it might have saved the guys life.

FYI people - look for cupping of the brake track. If it gets significant than it's time for new rims.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Robroyski

by Robroyski

I would be interested to see the profile of the breaking surface.

wilson78

by wilson78

Ouch! :shock:
Have a pair of a similar vintage that were retired onto the winter bike, and the rims are starting to look rather worn too - they have a fairly obvious concave now. I've have been meaning to sort them for a while now...but i think it might be replacing them sooner rather than later having seen that!
Pretty sure you can order new rims from campag and rebuild them, assuming the spokes and hubs are still good.
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

The fronts are very very similar, in my opinion the rears will get more wear..... and I guess they will be the first to go though - Its difficult without wear indicators just how much 'cupping' you risk?!

Yep these were on my winter steed. I did order some new wheels the week before they went pop and i was due to have them but they sent the wrong hub so they were delayed a week, its a bit ironic how it was their last ride when they went bang!!

I did look into replacing the rims but was quoted £368.22 just for the rear rim/spokes and rebuild!! So bought some new hand built wheels instead!

I will try and take a photo of the rim tomorrow and post up!

And yes if yours are bad then bin them!

Lig.

ave

by ave

What was the tire pressure?

edmundo

by edmundo

Lig wrote:I also think those Swissstop green pads wore it quite quick!!??
I've come to the same conclusion. I think these pads on this rim is a terrible combination, but it's taken me all of four years of poor braking and horrible grinding sounds to it work out. (I'm a slow learner.)
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you have two spokes and a caliper use them to measure the thickness of the wall under the lipped edge. If it's under 0.9mm for any rim stop using it as its on borrowwed time.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

bm0p700f wrote:If you have two spokes and a caliper use them to measure the thickness of the wall under the lipped edge. If it's under 0.9mm for any rim stop using it as its on borrowwed time.

Then Stan's Alpha340 rim is ready to blow even when new. I cut one up and measured the wall thickness of the rim and brake surface. The brake surface was .9mm and the wall thickness was .5-.7mm, the thickest section was the spoke bed at 1.1mm thick.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Lig, I'm glad you're okay. I use SwissStop blacks with my Campag wheels because they're kinder to the rims. The pads wear faster but it's cheaper to replace them than a rim.

BTW you could get a set of Zondas for the price of that rim and have £100 to spend on something else. :)

Mr.Gib wrote:A lot of folks not familiar with optimum breaking technique wear out the rear first. In this case it might have saved the guys life.

UK roads get very greasy in autumn and winter. It makes sense to use the rear as well as the front as it's easier to control a rear wheel skid.

murph100

by murph100

I tried Swiss Stop Green on my Shamals a year ago and took them off after a week, they were just shredding the rim. Switched over the Kool Stop Salmon/Black combo and got perfect braking, zero noise and really easy on the rims. Dont know what it is about the Shamals, but they do not mix with Swiss Stop Green, I still think they're the best Alu wheel out there though :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Why on earth are people not sticking with Campag pads?

Or have I missed something here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com