newest S Works shoes question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

Does anyone have direct experience with the newest S Works shoe? In particular, how is the fit compared to the older model? I have read that the new ones are supposed to be lower volume in the forefoot, but articles get these kinds of things wrong all the time.

I'm asking because I am on Sidi Ergo 2 shoes that have about 5 seasons on them, and they are getting tired. The fit is excellent/snug, I tried the previous model S Works and found they have too much volume in the forefoot, so that I couldn't get a snug & wrapped fit without going to a size that is too short for me. FWIW, I wear a 43.5 in the Sidi Ergo2, and tried a 43 S Works.

TIA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tuba

by tuba

I have the exact same shoe toe box volume issue. I am size 43.5 in Ergo 2 but previously had the S-Works road shoes (4 years ago) but only wore them 1 time because there was just too much forefoot volume.
I just bough a mtn. bike so I needed some shoes. I have always liked the S-Works shoes & have read about the changes in forefoot volume of the new models.
I tried the mtn. bike S-Works shoes size 43 and they still had way too much toe box/forefoot volume, I couldn't tighten the velcro strap enough too get a nice snug fit like the Sidi shoe.
I ended up just buying a Sidi Dominator shoe, why mess with perfection.

I would say just stick with the Ergo model or go with the Sidi Wire shoe if you want the boa type closure system.

sawyer

by sawyer

spud - Doesn't directly answer your question, but is relevant given the time period involved for you ... the S-Works shoes reduced substantially in volume between the second iteration of the Boa Shoe and the third. We're now on the fifth version by the way ...

First - large flap, single BOA, usually silver
Second - single BOA, no flap - large volume
Third - two BOAs - smaller volume
Fourth (just replaced) - two BOAs - similar volume to third.

Fifth - just released. Not sure about volume.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

boots2000

by boots2000

I just got a pair. In my opinion the shoes have a generous toe box but fit more snug through the instep than the prior model.
So if you need something fairly narrow/small up front the s-works may not be for you. However, they do have a narrow version out in January. It may work better for you.

aerozy

by aerozy

By the way the Specialized shoes are a lot smaller than the SIDI's. I use a 42.5 Sidi's which are quite snug and I had to go down to a 41 with the s-works. Eventually gave them up due to the extra volume up front.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

aerozy wrote:By the way the Specialized shoes are a lot smaller than the SIDI's. I use a 42.5 Sidi's which are quite snug and I had to go down to a 41 with the s-works. Eventually gave them up due to the extra volume up front.

that means specialized runs large

all i know is that i have gen 4 (not newest) s-works road and mtn bike shoes, and the mtn bike shoes feel way better with the velcro on the lower part of the foot.

this fact alone makes me wanna try the newest iteration of s-works shoe. wallet doesn't agree with me on this same point though.

CBJ

by CBJ

I have a pair of the S-works EVO on order which will get here some time after Thanksgiving by then I will check in again to the thread if necessary. I also have Ergo2 and looking forward to trying something else.

Horacio

by Horacio

I tried them on. It seemed to me that the toe box was smaller than my Gen3. I'm currently wearing a 42.5 regular Gen 3 and the new shoe is way to uncomfortable up front for me, so I'm waiting on the wide version.

Krackor

by Krackor

I tried on some gen 4 this fall. Definitely smaller volume (and narrower sole!) than my previous gen 1's. My feet were hanging off the sides of the sole and rather uncomfortable/unstable. I have a pretty wide foot with relatively low arches.

grover

by grover

tuba wrote:I have the exact same shoe toe box volume issue. I am size 43.5 in Ergo 2 but previously had the S-Works road shoes (4 years ago) but only wore them 1 time because there was just too much forefoot volume.
I just bough a mtn. bike so I needed some shoes. I have always liked the S-Works shoes & have read about the changes in forefoot volume of the new models.
I tried the mtn. bike S-Works shoes size 43 and they still had way too much toe box/forefoot volume, I couldn't tighten the velcro strap enough too get a nice snug fit like the Sidi shoe.
I ended up just buying a Sidi Dominator shoe, why mess with perfection.

I would say just stick with the Ergo model or go with the Sidi Wire shoe if you want the boa type closure system.

The mountain bike shoe hasn't been updated like the road shoe has this year. It will still be a similar fit to 4th gen road shoes. Unfortunately I haven't tried the 5th gen road shoe so can't Spud's question. I'll probably do that this weekend though and get back to you.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

OP:
As luck would have it, I was riding SIDI ergo2s for a few years in size 43. I then switched to the 2012 S-works road shoe in size 42. I found the fit to be comparable in terms of length. For me (narrow heel, wider forefoot) the s-works was a more secure fit. I found both BOA dials on th s-works to be useful, whereas with the ergo 2 I found that I never adjusted their dial or the Velcro strap at the toes.

I have been fortunate enough to have ridden and raced the 2013 s-works road shoe since late August, also in size 42. I was a bit worried about the fit as I had read about the changes in last, and these shoes were just sent to me with no opportunity to try them on. The length felt spot-on. There may be a tad more volume in the forefoot (for me this manifests as more room in front of the little toes to the outside of the foot). The extra volume does not bother me at all because the rest of the fit is so secure, and I don't mind if I have room to wiggle my toes.

While the 2013 updates seem minor, the symmetric tongue and new BOA configuration make a substantial difference in fit. The asymmetric tongue wraps my instep in an even more secure fashion than the prior version's tongue. I believe part of this is attributable to the new BOa setup. The addition of the Velcro strap at the bottom (which I never touch) means the middle BOA now has less to do and can focus on a smaller area to clamp down. Net result is again more precision.

I'm using the shoe with the same footbeds, wedges, cleats, and on the same bikes. I cannot say that I notice a stiffer sole. My footbeds dropped right in with no width issues. I do not yet have the 2013 specialized footbeds, but I intend to try them.

The one small issue I have experienced is that the dials seem to loosen just a hair during a ride. This may simply be something I need to tighten on the BOA dial itself to make it secure. I mention it only because I had no such issue with the 2012s, although n=1 for each model year.

I've been alternating rides with the 2012s and 2013s lately. The 2012s are great but when I slip the 2013s on I have more of a sensation of being "locked in."

I hope this helps. Lete know if I can answer any other specific questions for you. Sounds like I may be one of a few who have had direct experience with all shoes in question (more than just in-store).

spud

by spud

tetonrider,

thanks for the direct feedback. I don't know if you noticed this with your Sidis, but as mine get warm, and maybe a little moist with sweat, the uppers stretch. If I take them out of a cold closet after no riding for a few days, they are TIGHT. After a little bit of time in them, not so much. Do the Spec shoes stretch with heat/moisture, perhaps that's what you were feeling on your rides with them.

With regards to the Sidis, did you run the stock insoles or aftermarket insoles? I'm running the Spec insoles, which suck up some interior room, which is fine for me.

Maybe the solution is to try the new Spec shoes with the older/thicker insoles to take up volume.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

spud wrote:Do the Spec shoes stretch with heat/moisture, perhaps that's what you were feeling on your rides with them.

i never noticed any stretch with my SIDIs or with my specialized shoes. feet also tend to swell with heat/pressure, so any stretch might be masked. either way, this is not something that ever came up for me.

spud wrote:With regards to the Sidis, did you run the stock insoles or aftermarket insoles?

aftermarket. i used one molded to my foot.

spud wrote:Maybe the solution is to try the new Spec shoes with the older/thicker insoles to take up volume.

i personally wouldn't use insoles to fix a fit issue. if a particular brand of shoe is too high volume for me, i would find something else that more closely matches the profile of my foot. (this is true for ski boots--lots of ways to take up volume but best to start with something that fits closest.)

for me, the purpose of the footbed is to provide a solid connection between the bottom of my foot (contoured) and the shoe (flat).

if taking up volume is your issue, you can always go out and buy some bontex. i just don't think the footbed is going to take up room in the forefoot the way you hope.

out of curiosity, why does a little extra volume in the forefoot (you mean toe box?) matter? for me, the precision of the fit is across the instep and in the heel. my toes are relaxed--a tight fit there doesn't serve me. just my own opinion, but i wonder if you can share your rationale to help me understand.

spud

by spud

Perhaps we are discussing the same things with slightly different terminology.

I don't concern myself with tight fit around the toes, in fact I appreciate some room there. Where I do want a good snug fit is right behind the big toe knuckle. I can crank down a strap across my instep, which will put me back in the heel cup, but it feels better to me if the whole shoe, from the knuckle back, is snug and does not allow slop.

It's possible pedal style has some bearing on things. I had a fairly flat ankle position, and produce a fair bit of power over the top of the pedal stroke. I'm also heavily biased towards sprinting, so I like a shoe that really locks me down in the shoe, without feeling like the back strap is biting into my instep.

Clearly I'll have to wait and see with the S works, may not be the right shoe. I'm just having trouble with the price ($500!) and looks of the new Sidi Wire. Maybe the Shimano shoe will be a good one (the old ones had too much camber in the sole).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tetonrider

by tetonrider

spud wrote:P
I don't concern myself with tight fit around the toes, in fact I appreciate some room there. Where I do want a good snug fit is right behind the big toe knuckle. I can crank down a strap across my instep, which will put me back in the heel cup, but it feels better to me if the whole shoe, from the knuckle back, is snug and does not allow slop.
It's possible pedal style has some bearing on things. I had a fairly flat ankle position, and produce a fair bit of power over the top of the pedal stroke. I'm also heavily biased towards sprinting, so I like a shoe that really locks me down in the shoe, without feeling like the back strap is biting into my instep.

i find that the 2013 s-works shoe is particularly good at locking my foot in place without the need to overly tighten the top BOA. also, the addition of the lower velcro strap means the lower of the two BOAs operates on a more focused area, and this really secures the area to which you seem to be referring--the lower instep/across the "knuckles" of the toes as you say. the velcro strap is pretty meaningless for me.