Rotor 3D+ vs Sram Red for bbright

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

Guys, cos I feel that I'm a little bit caught in the middle, I need some sensible advice, different point of view to help make my mind.
The problem lies in the choice of the crank for bbright system (cervelo r5).
This thread's title describes the conclusion I came to: Red GXP vs Rotor 3D+.
What I like and dislike:

Red Like:
the look;
potential of changing the appearance and shaving view g;
the match with the rest of the Red components (no big fuss);
cheaper than Rotor.

Red dislike:
extra weight, compared to BB30 version;
24mm spindle, not native to bbright, not fully taking advantage of bbright;
necessity of using extra adapters.

Rotor like:
bbright native, 30mm spindle, full utilisation of bbright system, no adapters;
the same weight as Red crank (gxp with adapters, chainrigs excluded);
some say "cervelo looking" crank (debatable);
look better (imo) with q rings, which I would like to give a try.

Rotor dislike:
I can live with the graphics, but if I change my mind....;
weight,
more expensive;
some say "cervelo looking" crank :wink:

Some figures (compact):
Red: crank arms 415g, oryginal chainrings 157g, bb 85g, adapters 39-50g, total 707g.
Rotor: crank 475g, q rings 154g, bb 85g = 714g.
In this configuration Red is much cheaper £284 vs £421.
Situation changes when you go for lighter chainrings. At this point price difference comes to £30 ish.

What is the stiffness and performance difference between these cranks?
Compatibility q rings with Red...?
Now I'am on Red coupled with Record crank, standard bb 68mm. And I'm very happy.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I love my rotor crank. I wasn't using a BBright on my S2 as that is a an english threaded BB. It really is a matter of how much you want to spend because the performance difference between the two is marginal.

I don't think you're going to run into many problems with the Q rings being on the red unless you are going to use the 2012 Red FD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

You should also consider Q factor :smartass:
By my opinion Rotor has larger Q factor.....

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for this, but 147mm it's still not that bad at all vs 145mm, imo. Campag I'm on now, has 145.5mm.
So for me this aspect is negligible.

Permon

by Permon

1415chris wrote:Thanks for this, but 147mm it's still not that bad at all vs 145mm, imo. Campag I'm on now, has 145.5mm.
So for me this aspect is negligible.

Yeah, Q factor is distance between pedals, but Rotor's clearence between cups/your ankles is significantly larger than Campagnolo :( I have not measure it..... it just looks like that. For example, Campa's left crank arm is very nice and flat, Rotor's is larger + it has the ring for pre-load of berings....just thoughts.

drmutley

by drmutley

after my recent experience with using the BBright to GXP adaptors on a BBright S5, i would never consider running a GXP crank longterm.

Also I maybe wrong but the SRAM Red spindles arent long enough to use with BBright, and only the SRAM 975 crank is? (unless the 2013 spindles are longer?)

I used a SRAM 975 BB30 Quarq for a month and had no issues. Had to swap to a spare GXP Quarq (using Enduro adaptors) when my BB30 quarq needed to be returned for warranty, and since then ive had nothing but problems. Problems included creaking, chainline issues, drag/preload issues, and the NDS crank persistently coming loose and nearly falling off (ie every 20km)

timzcat

by timzcat

I've had the Rotor 3D+ on a BBRight ad if it were me I would be trying the 2013 Red BB30 on it. Remove the preload ring and you gain the 11mm difference.
Someone already posted about doing so in another thread. To me it's worth a shot because the BB30 2013 Red is only 526g and IMHO a much nicer crank then the Rotor.

Nostromo

by Nostromo

+1 on going with a BBright specific solution. I had this same question at the beginning of 2011 when I was building a new Cervelo R3. At that time it was only Rotor 3D+ or SRAM S900/950/975 that would take advantage of the larger diameter and have a long-enough spindle. I went with the SRAM crank because it was the only way at the time I could get a compact.

The S950 was fine but after about 5000 miles it developed some creaking from the bolts holding the DS crank arm to the spider. By then, in addition to Rotor, FSA had begun making BBright specific cranksets. To replace the S950 I looked at Rotor 3D+ and FSA K-Force Lite and decided on the FSA crankset. That was at least 2000 miles ago and I've been delighted with the performance of the FSA K-Force Lite. Plenty stiff enough for me (the S950 wasn't as stiff) and truly BBright specific whereas the S950 was more like BBright compatible. The FSA is a bit pricy but the Rotor isn't cheap either. SRAM S9XX is fairly inexpensive, and as I said, worked pretty well for me for quite a while.
1993 Merckx MXL
2011 Cervelo R3
2012 Madone 6.9 SSL

drmutley

by drmutley

^^^ if u like the BBright FSA option I have a new one for sale!!

1415chris

by 1415chris

timzcat wrote:I've had the Rotor 3D+ on a BBRight ad if it were me I would be trying the 2013 Red BB30 on it. Remove the preload ring and you gain the 11mm difference.
Someone already posted about doing so in another thread. To me it's worth a shot because the BB30 2013 Red is only 526g and IMHO a much nicer crank then the Rotor.
That would be my first choice, but unfortunately the new Red BB30's spindle is too short. It was clearly covered in recent threads.

Naturel

by Naturel

Than the last Sram Red crankset BB30 is compatible with Bbright or not?

apLe

by apLe

Chris, go for 3d+. I use 3d with bbright and it's far stiffer that I need, so 3d+ should be even better. It looks good, it's stiff and it's kind of dedicated to bbright. I would go for normal rings instead of qrings. It'll save you some weight and honestly? If you don't race (too much ;)), normal rings are just fine. If I were you, I would look for normal, stock version, not the one dedicated to r5 in 2011, but that's just a matter of taste :)
18' R5 coming soon...

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The only sram "red" crank that is directly compatible with bbright is the one attached to a quarq. Sram red cranks that have a built-in, carbon spider, are not compatible.

Naturel

by Naturel

And with this Rotor adapter 46 30 ?

http://www.rotorbike.com/nueva/ingles/press_fit4630.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thank you for all of your comments.
I shall be getting the Rotor crank and, as the curiosity, their q rings as well.