Experience with Sram S900 crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregne

by Bregne

So, in need of a PowerMeter i'm considering the Power2Max with the Sram S900 option, as it seems like a bargain for under a 1000 euros.

Though i'm very concerned that the S900 crank it self will not meet my requirements. I'm not a big and heavy rider, but i'm doing very serious racing and my concern is if it will be stiff enough. Of course there's a weight penalty but that seems unavoidable (as i don't wan't to go StageOne)

So any thoughts on the S900 crank?

And extras: How well does the SRAM Aero chainring shift with the new Red-group?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm coming to the realization that rings flex more than modern crank arms. I have the S900 series crank on my felt and recently swapped from q rings back to red black rings and I'm always rubbing the FD when out of he saddle in the big ring.

Now; as a 175 lb rider with a decent kick, I've run old red, force, new red, s900, ultegra, 105, and about to try some specialized cranks. I can assure you the difference in stiffness between all the SRAM crank arms I've tries is extremely minute - in most cases I can't even notice any flex. The s900 is at least on par with old red.

As for the shifting of the new rings... its fantastic. I'm wanting a more stealth big ring on my wilier but it just shifts so well!

Bregne

by Bregne

Thank you.

If you don't experience much flex in the crankarm itself, i probably won't experience any!

The chainring i thought of was this: http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/chain-rings - Any idea wether it shift well with the new Red Yaw FD? On the old Red all of the pros used the aero chainring, but according to SRAM they recommend using only the new Red Chainring with the Yaw derailleur - So how well does it actually shift?

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

I don't use or have an opinion on any other Sram stuff, but the S900 is a fine crank. I use it with an SRM. The thing is plenty stiff, at least with the 7800 rings I've got on it. Worry about the rings, not the crank.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Anything but the standard old red rings!

Honestly, the new YAW fd works so well that you'd be hard pressed to fault the front shifting on most rings as compared to the new Red rings... but they do shift just a hair better than other rings I've tried to date with the new fd
Still haven't tried Praxis or stronglight though :)

Bregne

by Bregne

Thank you once again

So for another question: Considering this P2M ( http://www.power2max.de/shop_details.php?artikelid=4 ) i'm wondering if the newer SRAM S900 2013 will fit? Is there a difference in shape and form that won't allow the P2M to fit? The customer service of P2M won't answer me.

cogsci

by cogsci

SRAM has stated themselves that the S900 is stiffer than the Red. Look online for images of pros who are running all Red except for the crank (S900) combined with the TT rings. Robbie McEwen, Taylor Phiney, etc. etc. I am running my S900 on a 2012 Cervelo R3 Team and love it.

roca rule

by roca rule

Bregne wrote:Thank you once again

So for another question: Considering this P2M ( http://www.power2max.de/shop_details.php?artikelid=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) i'm wondering if the newer SRAM S900 2013 will fit? Is there a difference in shape and form that won't allow the P2M to fit? The customer service of P2M won't answer me.

no the power2max spider will not fit the the new s900 this is the only s900 that the p2m will fit.

]

roca rule

by roca rule

this
Attachments
android 7878.jpg

Bregne

by Bregne

Well... honestly that sucks.

As my team will be SRAM sponsered i'd have to run either a SRAM-crank or an unbranded crank. The price of P2M seems really attractive, but that dosen't really matter if i have to spend a small fortune on getting the crank repainted (taping is not an option it's too ugly)

But have anyone here had experience with the Bor RR688 ( http://www.power2max.de/shop_details.php?artikelid=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Last edited by Bregne on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deek

by deek

I don't have any experience with the P2M, but the crank that rocarule posted and the current S900 use the same spider interface. I think it should work.

Bregne

by Bregne

deek wrote:I don't have any experience with the P2M, but the crank that rocarule posted and the current S900 use the same spider interface. I think it should work.

P2M just answered my e-mail, saying it won't work.

roca rule

by roca rule

If you are sponsored by sram you might be able to get a good discount on a quarq. It might even come about the same as the p2m. (sram owns quarq now)
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm still not feeling warm and fuzzy about PowerToMax:

From DC Rainmaker:

Bregne

by Bregne

djconnel wrote:I'm still not feeling warm and fuzzy about PowerToMax:

From DC Rainmaker:

So, whats your point? It might as well be the PowerCal or the PowerTap measuring wrong? I read the article and it seems that the taking the party of the PowerCal (could be because he got it sponsored).

I trust the Power2Max... but i don't know if i trust the Bor crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com