Token T33 SL Review+ test. the test results are in!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen!

Between Christmas and New year I received a box with parts from The friendly people of Token. When I spoke them last year they asked me to shed my light over a few of the parts they make. First of all, here is the box:

In it were the T33SL wheel set, their Y cut skewers, a double wheel bag, a tiramic BB, headset spacers and a top cap. But since this topic is about the wheels, let's cover that first. The T33 is a new rim by Token and it follows the 'wider is better' trend on being aerodynamic. The rims are 23mm wide and 33mm deep. The rims are build onto tokens own hubs using aero spokes and alloy nips. A few of those spokes and nipples come supplied with the wheels along with a spoke adjusting tool and brake pads. Did I already mention that the skewers come with the wheels as well? All in all a great package if you ask me!

Glueing them with Conti glue for CF rims wasn't the problem. Finding the right tyre was. At first I had the slight hope that a set of skinwall Challenge Forte's was going to cut it. Sadly, they turned out to be to narrow for the wide rims. I'll keep those for my 19mm wide 50mm deep wheels. So the search continued for good rubber to glue on to the rims. After much thinking and asking around I found one Vittoria pave 24 at one shop, bought it, then hopped in the car to drive over to a second shop in the hope they had a matching tyre for me. The search over there seemed fruitles, but after half an hour one of the people working there finally found one in a big pile of tubes. oof!
At home the tyres were left to strech over night, then after glueing the wheels needed the extra 12 hours to dry.
This is what I like about tub wheels and tubs, while glueing, stretching and waiting you build the tension. you need to wait those last few hours before you can go out and ride!

The wheels, what do they weight?
Front:

Rear:

As you can see a decent weight for the set. At 1080 grams they carry a bit more mass then claimed (440-595 grams). Although this is the SL version of the wheels intending that they come with Tiramic bearings in order to save weight.
Here is a picture of the set:

I'm riding them with the Vittoria's glued to them right now. I hope to receive a set of Continental competition 25mm tyres to try these wheels with this rubber as well. Right now the wheels feel great and I will give you a complete test once I get more kilometers in.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:popcorn:

What is the msrp on these?? Decals are hideous....may could save a few grams there.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Just used google to find that out. 2340 Dollars. Yikes!

The decals lie on top of the finish of the rim, so they can be easily removed. Which is good as they are ugly as SIN! :beerchug:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The price! Too high for that.

Compared to this: http://www.aerowheels.fr/index.php?p=catalogue&id=694
Which is ~ $1314.92 at the current euro-USD exchange rate.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Frankie - B wrote:Just used google to find that out. 2340 Dollars. Yikes!

The decals lie on top of the finish of the rim, so they can be easily removed. Which is good as they are ugly as SIN! :beerchug:

WHAT!!! :shock:

Sorry about not googling before asking the question......I hear you can get drawn and quartered around here for such atrocities! :smartass:

:google:

OwenN

by OwenN

I think you have your Euro-USD conversion confused. It takes more than one US Dollar to buy one Euro. Google tells me that those AWL wheels you think are a better deal are actually $2637.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

At the current rate $2340 is €1750

Sent from my HTC.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

OwenN wrote:I think you have your Euro-USD conversion confused. It takes more than one US Dollar to buy one Euro. Google tells me that those AWL wheels you think are a better deal are actually $2637.

Yep, I left off the 1. :oops:
1990€ = $2639 (the dollar has gone down since you last posted!)

JensW

by JensW

prendrefeu wrote:The price! Too high for that.

Compared to this: http://www.aerowheels.fr/index.php?p=catalogue&id=694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is ~ $1314.92 at the current euro-USD exchange rate.

what? the wheel you link to, are 1990 euro, thats about $2638, not near any $1314 :D:D, and it´s more then the Token wheelset, and then you also get a heavier wheelset when buying the ones that you link to :D

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, see my second post, sir. The one above yours.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

btompkins0112 wrote:Sorry about not googling before asking the question......I hear you can get drawn and quartered around here for such atrocities! :smartass:

:google:

Indeed, watch out for that as the people who say that and the people who don't use google are both partly right. We can think of reasons in defence of both standpoints.

Back to the wheels!

The wheels Prendrefeu mentions are 100 grams heavier and are more expensive.
Aerowheels €1990
Token T33SL € 1750

i just got word from Token on why my wheels are heavier then claimed. This is because they put the wrong hubs into my wheels. mine have full alloy hubs. the standard hubs for the T33SL are a alloy and CF hybrid.

vinsert

by vinsert

Frankie - B wrote:Glueing them with Conti glue for CF rims wasn't the problem. Finding the right tyre was. At first I had the slight hope that a set of skinwall Challenge Forte's was going to cut it. Sadly, they turned out to be to narrow for the wide rims.

I'm considering Veloflex Extremes (22mm) for wheels with the same rim. http://www.unaas.no/hjul/landevei/ss-33 Is 22mm too narrow?

elviento

by elviento

Oops, that doesn't reflect very well on their QC, does it? Imagine buying a $3K set of Bora Ultra Twos but instead getting ones with an alloy hub normally used on $2K Bora Ones?

Also agree the graphics totally suck.

As for pricing, I suppose they are essentially pricing it at half of Mavic CCU's but with comparable weight. Of course there is so much more to a wheelset than just weight. The Token brand has evolved quite a bit over the past decade and are a lot more visible than before, so they are pricing accordingly it seems.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

CBRE

by CBRE

Boyds carbon tubulars are only $850 and are assembled here in the US by Boyd himself, mine have been bulletproof.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lee16

by lee16

I think the zipp 202s are just as light.