EE brake set and SRAM Red levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller76

by Miller76

Hi fellow weenies,
thinking about running some new EE brakes with SRAM Red levers
Hoping for some advice etc based on your experiences
Any suggested cable brand? What not to use?

Current bike has Gore Ride On cables which I really like - but looking for your experiences - and looking for the set up that is easiest to maintain

Thanks again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

I have had best results with Gore Ride on Professional, but then again thats with Campag levers. The lower the friction the better they work...... but thats true of all brakes I guess.

Housing length is critical to EE brakes, the angle into the caliper and subesequently to the clamp needs to be as smooth as possible.

Great brakes though!...... cleaning them .... not so much. :D

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I dont think cable housing length is nearly as important on EE as Zero G and others... Broad range of adjustment and housing length doesnt push these around / limit the return spring stregth nearly as bad as a few others.

Cables inside the housing just are what they are. gore are nice and teflon coated Jag are nice regardless of the brake brand.

corky

by corky

PezTech wrote:I dont think cable housing length is nearly as important on EE as Zero G and others... Broad range of adjustment and housing length doesnt push these around / limit the return spring stregth nearly as bad as a few others.

Cables inside the housing just are what they are. gore are nice and teflon coated Jag are nice regardless of the brake brand.

guess its just me then....

BmanX

by BmanX

I am running EE brakes, Sram Red levers and I-link housings and cable with no issues. Have been using them for a long time now.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

da123

by da123

Like BmanX I run EEs, SRAM Red and i-links. Apart from having to adapt one of the links so that it fitted in the adjuster on the EEs, it works great. The ability to add / remove links to get the cable length perfect is a big plus as well given that cable length is quite important to get the angle right (especially on the front brake)

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Powercordz work well with the braking...but are sh*t with shifting.

motorthings

by motorthings

I have used standard jagwire and yokozuna with my EE calipers, and had no issues with either. of the two, my preference is the yokozuna.

LEC135

by LEC135

I got along fine with the standard SRAM cable and red leaver/EE barake combo

Miller76

by Miller76

da123 wrote:Like BmanX I run EEs, SRAM Red and i-links. Apart from having to adapt one of the links so that it fitted in the adjuster on the EEs, it works great. The ability to add / remove links to get the cable length perfect is a big plus as well given that cable length is quite important to get the angle right (especially on the front brake)

I am leaning towards the Alligator ilinks for brakes and gears on the new build -

Thanks all

Dammit

by Dammit

SRAM Force with iLinks, Power Cordz and EE brakes here (first gen), work perfectly, really impressed.

That said, I'm very likely to switch to 7900 Di2- anyone running those levers with first gen EE brakes? I'm concerned about the cable pull issue.

rustychain

by rustychain

I have the first generation and current generation EE brakes. When riding I can't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, I think they improved them but they are still fundamentally the same great brakes IMO :beerchug:

PS I much prefer the first generation brake pad holders, so easy to change brake pads. The new ones are a PIA. I am going to replace the new ones with some NOS
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What changed with the EE brake pad holders? It's not the same easy 10 sec job to bend up pad, pull out, and insert new one?

Miller76

by Miller76

What are the best pads suggested for EE brakes on non carbon rims?

thanks again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bman11

by bman11

Sorry in advance for the brief hijacking of your thread... I just installed my new EEbrakes and WOW! They are awesome in every single way. I have been using ZG Ti's exclusively since 2007 and was ready for a change. Don't get me wrong, I have been happy with the ZG's, but am very glad I switched. I am running them with Campy Record 10 spd levers on both my CR-1 and Colnago without issues. I can't wait to see how they perform in the mountains.

The pictures online just do not do these brakes justice. They really are engineered quite well.
Just dig in and climb it!!!