Argon 18

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH

by KH

Hi there bike experts,

I'm looking for a new frame for next year, and really like the look of the Argon 18 gallium S3 (in white!).....

just wondering if anyone has any experience of this frame or has heard anything good or bad about it or Argon 18 generally.

At 1100g claimed weight its not the lightest but i can deal with that if its stiff and handles well. It'll be used for racing but i also like long rides of 8 or 9 hours every now and then.

Coming from 3 seasons on a Cannondale CAAD6 which i really liked....

Any thoughts welcomed, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

CAAD 8
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

yourdaguy wrote:CAAD 8

:doh: Enlightening reply... :roll:

ALx

by ALx

supposed to be stiff and smooth
Sprinters are born not made

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

KH, I understand that for 2006 the Gallium has been updated. Argon is now using Nano technology in their CF layup which I'm assuming is under licence or produced by Easton just like BMC are doing for their Pro Machine.

However I believe that the reference both companies are making towards using Nano tech is more a Marketing ploy as my understanding that manipulation of Carbon Fibres at a true Nano level in a commercial sense is still a few years aware.

Having said that your question was simply any good? The Argon ia a pretty decent machine at a good price point. Plus it looks hot in white.

I thought this bike was a highlight at Eurobike 2004 and I found that when chatting to the people at Argon on the day, they were very passionate about their product a damn side better than most!
Attachments
P9020024.jpg

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

That does look cool but I would NEVER be able to keep it clean.

KH

by KH

Thanks for the replies,

yourdaguy: CAAD8 is certainly an option, i can get a pretty good deal but after having had a CAAD3 and CAAD6 i wouldn't mind something a bit different........

ffastfaz: thats interesting, thanks, from what i've read i'd have to agree with you about the nano tech stuff, its good to know that the manufacturers are genuinely proud of their product

and yeah CaptainWilier, cleaning could be an issue!!!! :lol:

I would like to hear from someone that has ridden one, the only review i've seen was on pez :roll:

i understand Boardman reviewed one in December's Procycling, does anyone know what he concluded??

hmmmmm..........a lot to think about in the next few weeks.....

triathonsmurf

by triathonsmurf

Sorry, I haven´t ridden the bike myself, however i do know someone who have :?

Danish toptriathlete: Thorbjorn Sindballe rides on Argon 18, and he set his new bike course record in Hawaii IM this year on a Mercury RPT. (182 km/112 miles in 4.21)

and now to the matter... he also have a Gallium S3 for the long training rides and i know he like it alot.

In his opiniun it´s pretty stiff and is handling very well, and he is a big guy who punch out a lot off watts

Again sorry for replying whitout having ridden the frame :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com