SRAM Hydraulic Disk Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grover

by grover

I got to ride these (and hydro caliper brakes) on the weekend. The hoods don't look anywhere near as bad in the flesh as they do in photos and I liked the feel in the hand. The discs were on a Cannondale SuperX. I guess the best feedback is that they'll be on my cross bike asap (March in Oz), and depending on the pricetag they'll be on my second cross bike. Solid lever feel, heaps of power and that key word 'modulation'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Damn I need a new CX bike!

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ Grover

So, how can I get a set for my road bike ?

In Aus as well :D

edited for crappy phone spelling :?
Last edited by MichaelB on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zambony

by zambony

I’m sure the system will be much better than the parabox converter kit. I was on the edge switching to disc brake on my CX bike. I kept the cantilever for my new bike because of wheel compatibility (and because I’m scared of cable actuated disc system); but this is very interesting since this kind of system looks much much better than cantilever…

CharlesM

by CharlesM

lordconqueror wrote:
CharlesM wrote:My only wonder on road versus cross is heat handling for very small calipers. I would guess smarter folks than me have worked it out...

one of the articles floating around (maybe VeloNews?) mentioned something about Todd Wells riding the calipers all year, so I assumed that meant for XC racing. Seems like that would be a reasonable way to confirm if their design had problems with heat buildup.

CX has no place near the heat build up potential that Road use does...

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I've said it before, can't wait to be proven right: small, wide, vented rotors. Shimano's IceTech aluminum core could be put to great use there too.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

thisisatest wrote:I've said it before, can't wait to be proven right: small, wide, vented rotors. Shimano's IceTech aluminum core could be put to great use there too.

I'm using the RT86 (Ice Tech ) rotors at the moment on my road bike with TRP Parabox.

They work really well, and even after a hard descent riding brakes (due to car traffic), there is stuff all heat transfer to the hub via the alloy spider.

Looking fwd to trialling the HydroR for the road :D

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

On road tires you probably don't want anything larger than a 140 disc because it will provide too much leverage and too easily lock the wheel. That said, on long descents these small rotors would easily overheat.

This problem will be solved in the same ways that it was solved for cars. You can use vented discs, more massive discs, carbon discs, carbon ceramic discs, larger swept area (which in this aspect means that you would go further in from the 140-make the pads taller), greater pad surface area (make the pads longer), put cooling fins on the calipers, etc. The engineers will figure it out.

My guess is they make the pads bigger in both directions, lower the leverage ratio, and put cooling fins on the calipers. Maybe vented discs too.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

yourdaguy wrote:On road tires you probably don't want anything larger than a 140 disc because it will provide too much leverage and too easily lock the wheel. That said, on long descents these small rotors would easily overheat.

Based on what experience ?

I currently run a 180mm front disc and have NEVER locked the front even in the wet.

Have been running road disc setup FOR OVER 12,000km now

deek

by deek

CharlesM wrote:CX has no place near the heat build up potential that Road use does...

XC, not CX. Although I think that road might cause more heat buildup than even XC.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I don't know what kind of disc brakes you have, but my 5 sets of Elixir CR's that I have on my Mountain bikes would lock my road bike tires way too easily. Even the regular rim brakes on my road bikes can easily lock the rear and with great effort can lock the fronts. The hydraulic brakes on my mountain bikes (all 160 rotors) have way more power.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

yourdaguy wrote:I don't know what kind of disc brakes you have, but my 5 sets of Elixir CR's that I have on my Mountain bikes would lock my road bike tires way too easily. Even the regular rim brakes on my road bikes can easily lock the rear and with great effort can lock the fronts. The hydraulic brakes on my mountain bikes (all 160 rotors) have way more power.

I have the TRP parabox setup.

As mentioned many times, hydraulics and discs give you much greater modulation so you don't lock brakes. Grip levels are entirely different.

So your statement should be preceded with "I have no road disc experience , but maybe ....."

I have also used a variety of tyre sizes and brands ,as well as tubeless.

If you can, ride a road disc ( not a cx bike) sand see what the reality is :D

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Any more updates .... ? :noidea:

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Ok, you guys are looking at this all wrong. Picture this, a front fork where the brake is inside of it. The hyd. hose routing is internal to the bars/stem(or combined bar and stem) goes down the fork and the caliper is already integrated. I am picturing the fork being in front of and behind the brake. this would eliminate th brake off the front of the bike resulting in a more aero package. Also the inside of the steerer tube could have the hyd line built in. This would be a much lighter package, as well as being much more aero.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Given that Shimano's hydro Di2 groupset has now been spied, will we see mpore of the SRAM HydroR soon ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shimano-di2-hydraulic-road-disc-brakes-spotted