What rim brake calipers can I use that have good clearance and power

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

Here's the rear tire situation:

Sram Force caliper = poor clearance under caliper with 28c tire, mediocre braking, light-ish and looks good
105 5800 caliper = good clearance under caliper with 28c tire, very good braking, heavy-ish and looks horrible (painted black??)

What calipers should I get? Would ultegra or dura ace have the same clearance? Is there something besides shimano or sram that's worth using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

The simple answer is, EE.

eric01

by eric01

Op doesn’t mention light as a criteria nor cost. EE are the best combo of weight, power, feel and cost. If weight is lower down on your priority, can’t go wrong with dura ace which has more power and better feel in my opinion. That said I still choose to ride EEs
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

Cane Creek ee brakes are great for rim brakes! Much lighter than my campagnolo and just as firm and strong.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Another vote for Dura Ace. I found them to be more powerful then my direct mount EE. The EE brakes were more prone to shuddering and required careful toe-in to acheive what by comparison to Dura Ace, was rather ordinary stopping power and modulation. A small rider might be fine with EE, but they did not work for my 76kg.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

EE brakes no question!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Everything said above is correct.

EE if weight focused and willing to dial in the setup.
Dura-Ace R9100+ if you want something cheaper that works even better with Shimano pull rates and just works (R9200 and R9100 rim brakes are the same FYI). However, they are comparatively heavy. 105 is the same but heavier and cheaper.
Campag if you are going for an all Italian bike but worse than above.

Everything else has compromises of some kind (SRAM, THM, Lekki, kcnc, etc.) They can be used and loved I just wouldn't recommend them or use them myself due to their compromises.

proffate

by proffate

The bontrager rim brakes that are ee knock offs have great clearance, work well and are less fiddly than ee. They're called speed stop and are direct mount only afaik. Weight is about halfway between DA and EE.

spartacus

by spartacus

eric01 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:32 pm
Op doesn’t mention light as a criteria nor cost. EE are the best combo of weight, power, feel and cost. If weight is lower down on your priority, can’t go wrong with dura ace which has more power and better feel in my opinion. That said I still choose to ride EEs
The most important thing is tire clearance, the shimano brakes have a lot more room under the brake bridge (like 4mm or something crazy?)

Not opposed to EE if they actually have the clearance. Just need to find a way to get real ones not knockoffs.

I might take more power over lighter weight but it depends how they look, maybe I should ball out and go EE but this is a caad it's not a light bike.

edit: thought the ee brakes were 400 a pair not 400 each lol. Maybe they're not worth it at that price.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Campagnolo SR12: huge clearance, great modulation
Dura-Ace 9100: ultimate power
EE: ww

+TRP 970SL Magnesium: my choice
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

nickf

by nickf

All this talk about more power. Proper pad maintenance and pad compound choice is also a key factor. In my experience, EE has PLENTY of power and modulation even on the fastest descents, they never leave me wishing for more. I always feel totally in control. Yes DA is a good choice and has good clearance, but more power?? How much power does one need on tap? The tire is the limiting factor in this equation, not the caliper.

Greny

by Greny

Kcnc CB 9 , 28 mm Gp5000 (30mm measured) no prob :)

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

FOURIERS CNC For me. 200g with carbon pads, I use 28mm wide rims with a 28mm GP5000 and room all around.
Not direct mount, you don't mention if you need that in the OP

Have as much power as my previous RED and DA brakes but much lighter and much cheaper.

spartacus

by spartacus

nickf wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:47 am
All this talk about more power. Proper pad maintenance and pad compound choice is also a key factor. In my experience, EE has PLENTY of power and modulation even on the fastest descents, they never leave me wishing for more. I always feel totally in control. Yes DA is a good choice and has good clearance, but more power?? How much power does one need on tap? The tire is the limiting factor in this equation, not the caliper.
I don't agree with this necessarily, I go back and forth between rim and disc brakes and the rim brakes are outright less powerful which isn't the most important thing, but with weaker calipers you have to pull quite hard on the lever to brake in comparison. The shimano calipers are closer to the force required by the discs than the sram calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:49 pm
FOURIERS CNC For me. 200g with carbon pads, I use 28mm wide rims with a 28mm GP5000 and room all around.
Not direct mount, you don't mention if you need that in the OP

Have as much power as my previous RED and DA brakes but much lighter and much cheaper.
Greny wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:32 pm
Kcnc CB 9 , 28 mm Gp5000 (30mm measured) no prob :)
Hmm I'll check these out. I didn't know direct mount are called calipers but I don't have direct mount.

Right now I'm leaning towards 9100 since I found a take off set for $180 and I'm scared to buy used eebrakes in case they're fake, and the cheapest new ones are like $700?