Garmin/SRM on Turbo Trainer Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Hi All

I have a Garmin 500 which I use as a headunit with the SRM.

Is it possible to use this combo on a Turbo and still get power, speed, distance and cadence?

Would the SRM and Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor work along with the SRM or would I need a PC7 with sensors?

Any help appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Distance is hard to judge, what metric is there to really compare it against? I personally think it's a little generous.

But really, trainer intervals should be about time and intensity - I would not be concerned about km's.

aerozy

by aerozy

One minor detail... If you like uploading your workouts to Strava, it wont recognize the "time" of your workout If you dont have a "distance". I use the Garmin cadence/speed sensor only for that.

Otherwise no problem using a powermeter with the Garmin as a headunit on a trainer.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

wetpaint

by wetpaint

The Garmin speed sensor will work fine, you don't need the cadence magnet though. I wait for my Garmin to get a satellite lock and then turn off GPS when riding indoors

ms6073

by ms6073

airwise wrote:Would the SRM and Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor work along with the SRM or would I need a PC7 with sensors?

Your SRM reports cadence so you really dont need the Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor, only an ANT+ speed sensor such as Bontrager, Ciclosport BlueEye III, or a VDO Z-Series speed sensor mounted so as to record speed from the rear wheel.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

aerozy wrote:One minor detail... If you like uploading your workouts to Strava, it wont recognize the "time" of your workout If you dont have a "distance". I use the Garmin cadence/speed sensor only for that.

Yeah it will. Trust me on this, 8 weeks straight on the trainer has taught me well :lol:

You also can edit the ride and untick the 'stationary trainer' box.

airwise

by airwise

Many thanks for the replies.

It was just that I had heard that when using the Garmin cadence/Speed sensor (of which I have three), the 500 will only accept cadence from that unit and will ignore the reading coming from the SRM.

Have any of you guys used this setup by chance?

wetpaint

by wetpaint

Mieke at Quarq said this regarding the cadence sensor
The Garmin's will listen to cadence from the crankset based powermeter over the GSC10 cadence if both units are present on the same bike.

http://www.quarq.com/forum/thread/44/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

airwise wrote:It was just that I had heard that when using the Garmin cadence/Speed sensor (of which I have three), the 500 will only accept cadence.
What the Garmin accepts/records depends on how you setup the speed sensor when pairing with the Garmin. Once paired, go to Settings -> Bike Setup -> Profile # -> Speed/Cadence -> More Details and you will see that there are check boxes to select between Spd/Cadence, Speed, Cadence. If you highlight/select Speed, then search, once the GSC10 is found/paired, the Garmin Edge 500 should then record only speed.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"