Lightweight Meilenstein tubular wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

konky

by konky

Anyone tried the new Lightweight Meilenstein Tubular wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keith

by keith

They're just the original LW III's with a new name. I have the standard ones and they are fast, light, very stiff, etc.

I'm told the lighter versions, with fancy ceramic bearings are not really that much better, only really in the range to satisfy certain markets. The people who make them prefer not to ride ceramic apparently!!
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LionelB

by LionelB

No they are not the same. The rim height went from 50mm to 47.5mm and i think the brake track is new as well.

keith

by keith

Apologies !! It just that I was speaking to the UK importer a while ago and the impression I had was that they were identical. How is the brake surface different? My LW III's have just been back to the factory for a refurb and the new brake surface looks the same as it was before.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xrs2

by xrs2

keith wrote:They're just the original LW III's with a new name.

And really ugly branding/stickers...bring back the classic look!

sungod

by sungod

in this post the differences are summarised...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100549&start=90#p909815

the obermayer didn't change, only the meilenstein

there's another thread somewhere that explains why ceramic bearings are not used in some lw wheels, from memory it was due to the cf hub construction not allowing the necessary toloerances for the bearings

konky

by konky

I have a set on order through Sigma Sport (UK). I heard through the importer the MY2013 version will be available in December. A whole month to wait unless Sigma can somehow get them earlier.

I just wondered if they had started appearing in mainland Europe yet and someone had tried/tested them.

I love the new look. The wheels are undoubtably good but I was put off buying the standard III due to the rather antiquated look. I suppose it's horses for courses.

keith

by keith

sungod wrote:in this post the differences are summarised...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100549&start=90#p909815 onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Thanks for the link, very useful!! It's still not super clear whether there is a clearance problem with the LW III's and 11 speed - they seem to say it's only a real problem with the sprint wheels! I wish they would respond to emails...

bura

by bura

xrs2 wrote:And really ugly branding/stickers...bring back the classic look!

+1 :beerchug:

The manufacturers just don't get it.
Everything is going bigger and bigger.
I already had complained elsewhere about the new Sram graphics and even Campagnolo is fading away from the classic looks.
I did expect from marketing departments that they would realize why black or shadow or beyond black are chosen by so many cyclists.
And why on earth has ZIPP gone beyond black when they still need twelve BIG stickers on a wheel set to tell other people what I am riding?
These are not visible when riding anyway.
And when traffic stops isn't one sticker on each side not enough to let other people know about the wheel brand?
And why do we have to peel off all these stickers to get to a stealth look but away from the original factory style?

And now even Lightweight went from decent classic look to Zipp,Reynolds,Easton like "here are your new wheels" action.

If you think you have a superior product then let the component tell the story.A single placed name on it will do.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

keith

by keith

My feelings too. If I do have to buy new wheels to be able to fit the 11 speed I'm hoping I can order a pair with no logos or with black lettering.

haydos

by haydos

Meilenstein's use stickers for logo's - easily removeable...

I feel they look ordinary too...i'd rather have them plain, people who know lightweights will still know what they are 8)
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

keith

by keith

Stickers? that sounds interesting - is that the big black 'Meilenstein' lettering or the white 'Lightweight' logo?

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i got some obermayers a few months ago, and opted for the black lettering

the lettering was painted on, but is hard to spot unless the light is at just the right (/wrong) angle

the little magnet symbols were still in white though, as far as i can tell they're not removable

Lig

by Lig

Nah - I cant see them being stickers but i could be wrong?

I was told that you had a choice and could still get them with the 'classic' logos. I received a replacement rear Meilenstein and I explained that i wanted it to match my front so it came with the classic 8 x logos (4 each side) and I could tell the brake track was different to the old (these are clinchers though).

Lig.

keith

by keith

sungod wrote:fwiw i got some obermayers a few months ago, and opted for the black lettering

Sounds very nice - any chance of a photo or closeup of the black logo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com