Is there an alternative for the Parktool BBT4 Campy BB tool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hi everyone,

I have taken apart quite a few vintage bikes over the years and nowadays I can almost get every part from a frame, however bad the condition of the part or the frame. One thing keeps bugging me though, being those awful Campa bottom brackets:

At the moment I use a Parktool BBT4 tool to remove these type of bottom bracket, but in quite a few cases this tool simply doesn't do the trick, because the tool slips from the splines or even destroys the splines if the bottom bracket is seized in place.

Is there an alternative for this tool? Or else an alternative method to remove this kind of BB?

Thanks!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I've got one of these:
http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/fietsgereedschappen/Fietsgereedschappen/Bracket+gereedschap.dot

Was pretty cheap, but can't remember where i got it from...

It grips well; far better than a spanner
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I used to use a Royce BB tool. It had notches and could be locked in place with a crank bolt.
The Campag Veloce UT BB-100 tool would be a good alternative.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I ended up buying a Tacx T4400 series bracket tool. It comes in 4 different versions and locks onto the axle with spring loaded nut. The concept is quite simple really, but it works like a charm! I wish I had this tool years ago. Great job Tacx :thumbup:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

SWijland wrote:I ended up buying a Tacx T4400 series bracket tool. It comes in 4 different versions and locks onto the axle with spring loaded nut. The concept is quite simple really, but it works like a charm! I wish I had this tool years ago. Great job Tacx :thumbup:

How do you drive these tools?