Next step up from S-Works Tarmac?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

qeaou

by qeaou

After several bikes I ended up with an S-Works Tarmac SL3 (Red Groupset)
What is a good step up?
(I understand this might be opening up a can of worms for people who do not like Specialized, but let's keep it "scientific" more or less)

The frame is really responsive and stiff, the geometry is great, no issues,
I guess the initial thought was that I, as we all, always want to look for another great thing,
(and also the SL3 has a BB86 bottom bracket and most new great compact cranksets seem to be BB30)

What are your thoughts and why?
(include responses about the frame itself, or frame plus gearset and why,
it would be great if someone has axperience with Sram Red and found something new that is better... (Super Record might come into the discussion, but of course the $ difference is still a factor)

There is of course also the issue of wheels as a crucial component, but I suppose since they are replaceable,
let's keep this factor to a minimum or as an added note...

What were your transitions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

SL4 with Red 2013?

Not sure on your statement about "most great new cranksets seem to have BB30", though... 30mm axle maybe, but that's not necessarily BB30.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

NealH

by NealH

I've been extremely please with my SL3. I use DA 7850-C24 wheels with 25mm Conti 4000 tires, and of course a DA drive train. I lose sleep at night thinking about saddling up again, and its going on 2 years now. I have purchased the exact set-up again and will buy an SL4 (or maybe a new 7 series Madone - haven't decided yet). But the SL3 with the above set up leaves little to be desired. Its comfortable and plenty stiff. Very responsive with a great "connected to the road" type feel.

sawyer

by sawyer

Well, if you are looking for objective criteria then the SL3 is unlikely to be a very aero frame.

And there are lighter.

Groupset ... 11 speed and electric shifting obviously have
some functional benefits.

Then there is the subjectives such as shifter ergonomics and action. I prefer Campagnolo and Shimano to SRAM.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Marzz

by Marzz

FWIW I went from an SL3 S Works with Red to a Fuji SST 1.0 with DA and I'm so glad I did.
I do like the look of the new SL4 tho and the new Felt F1 looks dope too.
S-Works Venge

mrfish

by mrfish

Keep the S-works, buy something else to help your training. At various price points that could be an identical winter bike, a TT bike or track bike, a set of custom insoles and a bike fit, a power meter or a training holiday.

qeaou

by qeaou

mrfish wrote:Keep the S-works, buy something else to help your training. At various price points that could be an identical winter bike, a TT bike or track bike, a set of custom insoles and a bike fit, a power meter or a training holiday.

That's not a bad comment. Point taken.
Any strong opinions on getting power meter? quarq seems to be VERy expensive, any alternatives?

qeaou

by qeaou

mrlobber wrote:SL4 with Red 2013?

Not sure on your statement about "most great new cranksets seem to have BB30", though... 30mm axle maybe, but that's not necessarily BB30.

That is a good clarification. Actually I didn't research the bottom bracket issue well enough.
I the questions is GXP vs BB30 and the pros and cons of both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

a step up - something classy and Italian - like the new Oltre SR, or a C59 perhaps (other than the obvious bias towards a Zero 7)
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)