Serial blowouts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Regret

by Regret

During the last few days I have been on the receiving end of no less than 4 blowouts - and I mean big bangs!
First during a training ride.
Next day I noted that the tire was half flat and looked like a slow leak. When I pumped it the tube blew again.
I took the tire off and went over it inside and out - many many times, found nothing. Checked the rim (Fulcrum Racing 0 so no nipples to worry about.
New tube, good to go. Today's ride after 35 miles - BLAM! New tube, some of the other guys checked everything, nothing to be seen or felt. To cap it off, 10 miles later - BLAM again.

I am at a total loss. The tubes I use are high end Contis (not latex), tires are OK, I know how to replace a tube. I may be on the receiving and of a particularly nasty statistical fluke but I really find it hard to believe. I have had many punctures over the years but few blowouts like this. And now 4 in a row?

Anybody experience anything like this? Any ideas for what to look for?

Thanks

vmb95

by vmb95

Had similar on my new evo cx clinchers plenty of times.
Switched to Krylion Carbons problem was fixed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Regret

by Regret

vmb95, I have been using these wheels for two years now - I am clueless as to why they show start doing this now. If it's the wheels.

The only change is the tubes - I have never used Conti tubes before but surely that can't be it.

artray

by artray

Does sound like you have an issue with the new tubes. Make sure they are fitted well . Inflate up to around 60psi check everything is straight .i.e. tyres are bedded in even .Let the air down then pump up to your normal riding pressure check again to make sure everthing is straight .If so should be fine to ride.

madmole

by madmole

Rim tape? where are the holes in the tube? Suspect tube is blowing out into spoke hole
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

Regret

by Regret

Madmole, the spokes on the Fulcrum wheel do not come through the rim - there is no rim tape.

parajba

by parajba

New tyres? What tyres are they? Did you use tools to mount the tyres? You might have over stretched them. Perhaps the 1st blow out over stretched it. I would change the tyre unless it's new/almost new...

I has a similar problem with a Veloflex Corsa, but I stretched it too much with the tyre lever. In hindsight I should have used my hands only. That's how I mount all tyres nowadays.

Regret

by Regret

Tire is not new but not old, done abt 1200. I have easily got twice that from a tire and had no problems.

I never use tools to put tires on. I have been doing this for a number of years now and never had a flat due to faulty mounting.

Just to clarify the tire is not blown, it's only the inner tube that goes.

madmole

by madmole

Where is the inner tube going? that will be you big clue

Get a piece of tissue and run it round insode of tyre and rim bed

Also check the valve hole hasnt got a sharp edge

These things can be infuriating!
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Are the tubes the race28 supersonincs, if so these tubes can blow it has happened to me. I am not using now except for race days/TT.

Regret

by Regret

They are Race 28's but not Supersonics (at least it doen't say on the box).

Is it possible that tubes from a respected company like Conti are so weak? I mean any tube can fail but four times in two rides in dry conditions with brand new tubes?

deek

by deek

Figure out where the holes are in your tubes and that'll point you in the right direction. I'm guessing they're blowing at the valve hole.

Regret

by Regret

The blowouts are not at the valve hole. They are at least 10 inches away.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Odd that no one has suggested (at least that I saw) that maybe something very tiny but very sharp is embedded in your tire. Maybe it's not the tube at all, but the tire. Have you tried a new tire? I would do that next if you haven't. You seem to have tried everything else. If the rim was new I might think there is a burr or something along the ridge or valve hole but you've been using it for sometime without problems. So, at this point, it becomes a process of elimination and although you may have just run into a string of bad luck, I think trying a new tire might be the next step.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brycerider

by brycerider

I would put another tire on and see how it goes. As has been said check the rim for burs and notches. Inspect valve hole. Take note of where it blew. If you don't already align the logo on your tire with the valve hole to give yourself a reference point to work from if it goes in future.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops