Weird wheel issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gospastic

by gospastic

I am trying to true some wheels. It is perfect without tire, but once the tire is mounted and inflated to riding pressure, the wheel goes out of true. I tried truing it while at pressure and obviously once deflated the wheel is now out of true again. I've heard of tension drop when tires are inflated but not trueness issues. I have also checked tension without tire and all are within spec. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Which rims?

kavitator

by kavitator

Maby tension is too high

Just true it with tire inflated. That issue has tubless and chlinchers - how much tension drop depends from rim stiffness, tire, ....lighter and less stiff rims are more effected

I had this problem eith FRM 29er older rims - offset holes, light soft rim - max spoke tenion was 120kg - but if i get max tension rim become unstable.
When tension was around 100kg rim was ok

gospastic

by gospastic

Interesting that tension may be too high. How does that work?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

A light rim can be on the verge of buckling if the tension is too high. Although I'm still surprised that adding a tire would cause this issue since that reduces the tension.

What rim? What tension? # spokes? Front or rear?
formerly rruff...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I've had the same issue with a SL23 rim, 32 spoke, and if it matters I'm fat and I like to stand up mashing and rocking the bike when I climb. I just tension/true them with the tire mounted and inflated. Seems to work alright.

gospastic

by gospastic

Well I figured out what was going on. It's an issue with the tires. I think it is because they are so loose on the rim. If they are not seated perfectly, it wall cause the wheel to go out of true when pumped up. I just put a new tire on the front wheel and since it is tighter than a used tire, it seats fine and the wheel stays true. I just moved the front tire to the back, and it now that tire causes the rear wheel to go out of true a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

perfect will be if all wheels will be finished with installed inflated tire on it

effect of air pressure on spoke tension in wheelset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-XznfqQRI