BSA or BB30 for Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I have to replace my recently munted frame and I'm wondering if I should go for a BB30 instead of BSA.
I'll be fitting a Record chain set. Some day I may wish to fit a lighter BB30 chainset.

The Campy adapters for BB30 are a tad lighter than the outboard cups required for BSA but they are press fit. Some say they have a reputation for developing creaks. I think the adapters for PF30 (46mm) are more prone to this than the 42 mm ones.

What's your experience if any, with these?
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you have a choice go with BSA as campag don't make 30mm axles anyway. As for BB30 creaks I think the problem is with the campag press fit 30 cups.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

We need to clarify some terminology.

There are BB30 frames and PF30 frames. In both cases Campy makes adapters that press in and allow a UT or PT crank to be used.

The Campy PF30 adapters have been a source of online complaints and criticism and I'd hesitate to use them.

My experience is with BB30 adapters in a Cannondale frame, and they have been fine for 2 years. Even so, the system seems sensitive to tolerances.

In either case though, the conservative approach would seem to be to use a threaded adapter, available for both BB30 and PF30 shells, and Campy threaded cups.

The only problem here is worrying about getting the adapter out later if you want to go BB30.

So, another plan would be to get a BB30 frame (not PF30), and hope for the best with the Campy adapters. If you can't make it work then it's easy to go BB30. PF30 is getting a bad rap on the forums generally.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

elviento

by elviento

Generally if you can avoid "adapters" do it by all means. For Campy cranks, I'd stick to a BSA (and I have PF30+SR on my bike), except if you will most likely switch to BB30 cranks later.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

LionelB

by LionelB

BSA

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have to replace my recently munted frame and I'm wondering if I should go for a BB30 instead of BSA.
I'll be fitting a Record chain set. Some day I may wish to fit a lighter BB30 chainset.

Now I'm wondering if OP understands the situation.

If you ever want to be able to fit a BB30 crankset, then it has to be a BB30 or PF30 frame. There's no choice in the matter.

And the only way to use Campy cranks is either their pressed-in adapters or by converting the frame to use threaded cups.

If OP is asking what's most reliable, then the answer is to get a BSA frame and forget about future BB30 use.

One.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I see no reason, if using Campag, to consider anything other than BSA.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Tinea Pedis wrote:I see no reason, if using Campag, to consider anything other than BSA.

I think we are in full agreement on this. The problem today is the number of manufacturers who are messing with the standards like Cervelo, and Specialized, and even Cannondale with PF30 on their top line, and creating headaches for anyone who wants to use Campy cranks. Each one of these brands has given rise to lengthy threads on the frustrations in trying to get them to work without creaking and adapter problems.

So to OP, the situation has got more complicated over the past couple of years, and you should carefully research your frame choice to see what issues might arise, with the safest choice being to go with a frame that has as standard a threaded BB shell.

One.

Permon

by Permon

Tinea Pedis wrote:I see no reason, if using Campag, to consider anything other than BSA.

+1

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Thanks for the comments.

The options available for the frames I'm looking at are BB30 and BSA, no PF30 or anything else.
I have the choice.

I am considering using BB30 with Campy adapters just because it remains possible to swap to a BB30 chainset down the track if the weenie urge takes me. My only concern is that the press in adapters may give me grief. Hence my query seeking the advice of people who have done it.

I wasn't aware of the threaded inserts for BB30 but if you can't get them out then they don't fit the brief.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Wouldn't you be able to save weight in many more places if you suddenly decide to to full on weenie?
I have no experience whatsoever with adapters as i run standard BSA on all my bikes. But it seems like BSA would suit you better as there are somewhat light BSA cranks to be had if everything else is weenied out.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.