Cervelo R5 price drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sedluk

by sedluk

They are selling off the remaining 2012 inventory. It looks like a great deal and if you can get one it really is a great deal. The problem is that most of the sale frames sold pretty quickly and there were not that many to start with in the popular sizes. So if you ride a 61cm you still might be in luck, but for the rest of us the picking are getting slim.

konky

by konky

duodiscus wrote:
konky wrote:These are just thoughts and probably a load of rubbish.

You said it, not me... :wink:

konky wrote:Quite frankly this half price sell off is baffling, and bloody annoying considering I bought one at nearer full price, only 20% off.

It does indeed suck if you weren't able to take advantage of a great sale. At least you didn't pay full price like some of us have... :wink:

At the end of the day, there will be sales and super deals that don't coincide with our buying schedule and that's just life. You still got an awesome bike though.

Yes I quess what I said is rubbish and my R5 is a great bike. Having said that there must be more to this than an end of line (colour) sell off. This half price sale has lowered the value of the brand as a whole and it's been driven by the manufacturer. A reduction of this magnitude from a premium frame manufacturer is virtually unheard of. I certainly wouldn't buy a Cervelo at near full price again and I can't see anyone else would either. That's bad business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tlr

by tlr

I've just been lucky enough to buy one of these having been told of the deal by my lbs.

The story I've been given in the UK is a combination of end of the year stock clearance coupled with the UK importer being fed up with Wiggle buying grey imports and selling them online despite not being a Cervelo dealer. Therefore the importer bought up all the spare stock and did them at the 50% off price.

Still seems like a hell of a discount. I decided that as I was thinking of changing my R3 for an R5 at some point now would seem like the right time to do it. I'd sure struggle to pay £3500 in 12 months time knowing that this deal had been available.

As for spoiling the brand, I suspect the deal will have passed under most people's radar as so much stock was sold before it even made it into the bike shops. Not many places are actually advertising stock.

And in true WW fashion, my 56cm frame weighed 760g, which I'm quite pleased about.

gimmesome

by gimmesome

so selling ONE particular (year end) model at half off has lowered the value of the whole brand? and you can't see anyone paying full price for a Cervelo again?

talk about taking things to the extreme. WOW.

konky wrote:
Yes I quess what I said is rubbish and my R5 is a great bike. Having said that there must be more to this than an end of line (colour) sell off. This half price sale has lowered the value of the brand as a whole and it's been driven by the manufacturer. A reduction of this magnitude from a premium frame manufacturer is virtually unheard of. I certainly wouldn't buy a Cervelo at near full price again and I can't see anyone else would either. That's bad business.

konky

by konky

I think the way they brought out the R5 followed by the R5 VWD was effing annoying as well. For a lot of people an expensive bike purchase is a massive deal and may be a once every 5 year event. In under a year the R5 was replaced by a much lighter model at same ball park price. Very unexpected considering the R3/R3SL was unchanged for many a year.

timzcat

by timzcat

I agree with konky on this. If you start selling the frames at half price then why buy any time except at the end of the year.

I am sure everyone realizes they are not taking a loss at that price and are simply selling the frames off at cost plus a little for the dealer.
Which goes back to the original point that at MSRP you are paying twice the cost of the frame. With the sale they are exposing that pricing to the general public.
So again why buy at MSRP in the future?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

It wasn't until a couple years ago that Cervelo had any end-of-year closeout pricing. Maybe 20% off on limited sizes, but that was it. I hope they return to that, I hope they ditch "model years" again.

konky

by konky

I guess Cervelo won't be shedding any tears over their competition but this half price sale is destructive for the industry as a whole. Cervelo won't be making any profit out of this, or very little, but it will effect other frame producers as well. People will choose Cervelo because they are artificially cheap at the expence of other producers just looking to make a fair profit.

tiquitain

by tiquitain

I'm very interested to buy one R5 frame at this price. Which on line shop do you think is the better for buy it?

konky

by konky

You don't need to quote the post above

Where are you based?

tiquitain

by tiquitain

In Spain. Here doesn't exist r5 offer

tiquitain

by tiquitain

tiquitain wrote:I'm very interested to buy one R5 frame at this price. Which on line shop do you think is the better for buy it?

I've found Royles and Primera. Are both 100% safe and serious?

konky

by konky

Yes

tiquitain

by tiquitain

Which BB adaptor is necesary to fit Campy Record on R5 frame? If I change it to Rotor, It must be Rotor 3D+?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caddis

by caddis

tiquitain wrote:Which BB adaptor is necesary to fit Campy Record on R5 frame? If I change it to Rotor, It must be Rotor 3D+?

You will need BBright adaptor, this one:

http://www.probikekit.com/eu/components ... acket.html

Some people have reported problems with that set up (Ultra torque and BBright), that BB-cups does not stay firmly in the BB. Anyway I am going to try it my self, hopefully will receive my frame in few days....

Read here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93006

Not sure about Rotor, but I think it must be 3D+