Trek 4.7 Seat Post Clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darth

by darth

Hi,

My seat post clamp is 30.2mm, can anyone help me to find a really light one - around 7grammes please? It's easy to find light clamps on eBay in 31.8 at that weight, but I'm struggling with this smaller size.

Regards in advance, darth.

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

You probably need to look for a 30.0mm seatpost clamp. Some frames are off just a tiny bit, but the closest standard size should work without any issues. I know I have seen 35.0 seat post clamps for seat tubes that are 34.9mm. I hope that helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think Parts of Passion makes one. It is the Purist, and it is right at 7 grams. It is a ridiculous $90, but it does come in a 30mm.

darth

by darth

Thanks for that, Zen. Although it is exactly what I'm after, it's too tall! I only have a fraction over 10mm to play with and it's about 16.75mm! Indirectly I then found the Mcfk Clamp - which too is lovely - but that's 15mm high! :-( Think I may just have to engineer one my self...
Attachments
My re-engineered I-Fly saddle & Bontrager carbon post, with Brunel style supports!
My re-engineered I-Fly saddle & Bontrager carbon post, with Brunel style supports!

darth

by darth

DONE IT!

Couldn't find a light clamp in 30.2 so took a chance and bought this 31.8 (http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Ride-Bicycle/ ... =958687367), and cut a 10mm strip of an old store loyalty card (similar to a credit card) and bent it round the seat post under the new clamp. Total weight including this 'shim': 8.5grammes!!! :D

Werdna

by Werdna

Uhhhh...
I have to ask. What's going on with your seatpost/saddle combo there? It looks very interesting.

darth

by darth

Hey Werdna,

It was yet another of my 're-engineering' projects that I tend to bury myself into on days when I feel anal about cutting the bike's weight down by yet another gramme!

I bought the I-Fly saddle based on reviews of how light it was, but when I weighed it I found it to be considerably over that figure! Turned out - after talking to SDG - that the updated saddles had been made stronger (and therefore heavier), and the light versions didn't exist any more! :-(

The same was the case with the seat posts as well! So I decided to go about it my self and in the process make something very 'unique'!!!

Here are some pics of the work in progress, and the first attempt (last pic.) at how to secure the saddle to the post (before I decided to copy Brunel).
Attachments
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com