Strain gauges in power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Anyone replaced or know where I can get the info on replacing the strain gauges in a PowerTap hub?

Thanks
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Did you contact Saris? :noidea:
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I'm trying to get this info for a friend here and told me if they replace them it's 300$.

If someone else has more info on this it would be great.

Thanks,
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sungod

by sungod

afaik the strain gauges are bonded to the "torque tube", if there's a failure/damage the tube assembly has to be replaced, hence the cost

the actual gauges will be securely bonded, so unless the fault is simple like a broken wire, i don't think there'll be much that can be done

i've not seen an open powertap firsthand, but from what i've read they don't sound easy to service

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I have not taken apart my friends power meter yet so it could be as simple as a broken wire but I fail to see how the tube they are bonded on would need to be replaced.