Light brake levers

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Some good idea here. I think I will be also be on the look out for some broken shifters then.

I wonder if there is a design reason for the weight of brake levers or is it possible to make a set that is the weight I want and still be durable? Either way what I want is going to need work. I think I will get a dremel and start with these 6401 levers and see how muh fat I can trim.

by Weenie

peruffo

by peruffo

To have so many broken Record parts, you need good contacts in Italy with pro teams: this is (the only thing) my boss is good at :-) I would advise against lowering the weight by drameling the body: we actually add weight and rigidity with glass fiber patches for good reason (!); we know from experience. I haven't counted, but I would say I made 15-20 pairs, the other mechanic about 5, we had this much demand for such custom brake levers in the last 3 years. You can buy Record levers only, but if you have a box full of discarded carbon lever brifters, then this is the more cost effective solution. And of course you have to put new hoods on it, so it can be any fashionable color the customer wants...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well maybe not the dremel then. I was hoping for an easy 100g but thats not going to happen is it. I will just use those Modolo levers when they turn up and accept the minisule 30g reduction. At least they look good.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I used a pair of vintage Dia Compe levers on a recent project. i did a little tuning and shaved off 12g per lever. Nothing extreme really, I just hollowed out the plastic housing with a dremel.

oysters

by oysters

peruffo, do you have a link to an online shop where we can get a hold of these brake levers you make? Or other details to order them?

peruffo

by peruffo

We have no website and never done any international orders, I'll ask about it.

BTW the wastebin at pro teams are full of surprises: e.g. this is what I found after removing the bar tape...
Attachments
DSCN3028.jpg

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Any news here? Thinking about trying something like this for a 1x10 build:

(Via http://www.bike-air.com/Show-Your-Vinta ... 8-192.html )