Tough sidewalls

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simonanks69

by simonanks69

Hey guys
So I was racing today, and as I cornered at high speed (+45kmh) I rode over a small rock and my rear tyre exploded. I was using Schwalbe ZX tyres. Any recommendations for a clincher wheel?
Thanks
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

Willier

by Willier

Continental GP 4000S is my favorite tire, never had any problems with flats. I also did some riding on gravel with them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have also had great luck with the GP 4000s, to me it brings together a bit of all the great aspects of a road tyre.

Even more durable is the Michelin Krylion Carbon.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Never really looked too closely at the 4000 but how similar is it to the Force? I ask because the other day on a training ride I ran over a small stone that I must have caught just right and it cut my sidewall causing a flat. It wasn't able to get past the Vectran but the tread also had a nice gash in it. Sidewalls are going to be the weak point in any tire, but the Shwalbes R.1 9 (predecessor to the ZX) that I have owned have worn through the sidewall without anything ever rubbing them. Other than two events that would kill any tire my Conti Force/Attack combo has been virtually flat proof.

bura

by bura

Kastrup wrote:I have also had great luck with the GP 4000s, to me it brings together a bit of all the great aspects of a road tyre.

+1

The Conti Four Seasons has tougher sidewalls though.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

padde

by padde

Usually, tire manufacturers will produce racing oriented tires with some extra sidewall reinforcement. Continental makes the 4 Season (w/Duraskin) whereas Schwalbe produce the Ultremo DD (w/Snakeskin). Personally I have found the 4 Season to be pretty tough - albeit not "touring tire tough" - and raceable.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Can you post a pic of the tyre? Either you were very unlucky, or something bad very happend. Or maybe both. Did the rock slash open the sidewall?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com