Cervelo new R5 or Cannondale SuperSix Evo HiMOD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sedi

by sedi

Hey!

I'm trying t decide between the New R5 from Cervelo and the Cannondale SuperSix Evo HiMOD.
Which would you chose? And Why?

In the end I want to build a light bike, for all around usage, still needs to be robust for everyday training and racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Heads R5, tails Super 6...You can't lose.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Both are excellent bikes, you can't go wrong really. Pick the one with the more attractive paint colour and BB standard that will work with the groupset you're contemplating.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

uraqt

by uraqt

Big big cervelo fan...

there are pros/cons for both bike..

Cervelo
what crank to use
Aero advantage

Cannondale
I think there are just a few more warranty issues. (but it's close)
I would guess that you can get last year's EVO cheaper

I think the geometry is a little different so that should most likely be the deciding factor.

C

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, if your position is quite aggressive you might need to size down and use a long -17 stem on the R5, if it's quite relaxed you might find the Supersix is too long or too low. Anywhere in between you'd probably be fine.

Beyond that it probably comes down to colour scheme and what crank you want to use tbh.

eric

by eric

If I had to replace my R3SL those are the two frames I'd consider. I'd probably lean towards the Cannondale if prices were roughly the same, due to compatibility with their excellent crank (and more cranks in general) and the shorter head tube. But I prefer the looks of a more sloped top tube of the Cervelo and I like mine so much that another one would be an obvious choice.

superdx

by superdx

The fit of both bikes are different. As mentioned already the R5 is a bit more relaxed geometry. The EVO is much more aggressive, in general you will be sitting longer and lower. If you want a more aggressive posture, then the SuperSix EVO is the way to go.

But either way you go, you will be a happy rider, guaranteed. Pick the one that you like best!

prebsy

by prebsy

geometry shouldn't matter unless you are VERY aggressive on the front end fit. I was pondering this choice as well, evo vs cervelo, both great bikes.
advantage evo for crank choice, advantage cervelo for cabling options (who knows when you might get the bug for di2). The fact that the evo frames aren't at least drilled for di2 is silly in my mind.

tinozee

by tinozee

Why is there limited crank choice with the cervelo?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Cervelo can't run true BB30 cranks as BBright is too wide.

I have an evo and love it. That said I think almost all the evo colour schemes are awful.

I would agree you can't go wrong. An evo could be built up slightly lighter ultimately because of better crank choice. Esp if looking to run a powermeter (SISL2 + stages)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

NiFTY wrote:Cervelo can't run true BB30 cranks as BBright is too wide.

I have an evo and love it. That said I think almost all the evo colour schemes are awful.

I would agree you can't go wrong. An evo could be built up slightly lighter ultimately because of better crank choice. Esp if looking to run a powermeter (SISL2 + stages)

This x100
I sell both bikes - R5 fit is more relaxed and that's a significant consideration if you want an aggressive fit, or an aggressive-looking fit... SiSL2 crank makes EVO the winner for me, but the R5 is a great looking bike (finally!)

Flip a coin if you feel you can fit both.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

I would go for Cervelo, it's easier to make relaxed geometry more aggressive, size down, using -17 stems, etc. But it's harder to make aggressive geometry more comfortable without those ugly spacers. Longer stem and slammed is a way better look then short and tall.

eric

by eric

Isn't a tall head tube and a -17 degree stem heavier than a shorter head tube (and fork) and a +7 (or some angle) stem? The amount of extra material there seems wasteful.

I think that a low head tube and a +7 stem looks industrial and purposeful, which matches many carbon racing frames. Looks are in the eye of the beholder.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

it's actually the opposite, long headtube allows you to size down on the frame. an extra 20mm on the stem weights nothing

sedi

by sedi

Thank you for all the answers.
I'll add a couple more details.
I currently ride a Cervelo Soloist Carbon in size 48. Fits me well and I appreciate the generous drop even using (just) a -6 degree stem and no spacers.
The R5 has the same stack and reach as the Soloist so I'm be able to match the exact same position directly.
On the Cannondale both the 48 and the 50 allow me to match my current position.

A couple of images riding the soloist:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 84770ab627

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7606_n.jpg

As for the built, Shimano 9000 is on the top of the list. The crankset can vary from the group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com