My Internal DIY Di2 setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

tetonrider wrote:excellent work!

what do you do to ensure the wires do not rub on the crank spindle? gravity will want to pull them down a bit. that bend from the downtube wire as it curves up the seat tube is an issue (minor one!) i've had on a similar project i did.

was it difficult to get a dremel inside the bottom bracket? i'd imagine the angles are tight.

thanks for sharing!

i superglued the wires to the inside of the BB area, to keep them away from the crank spindle.

the holes were drilled with a ball-tip bit, so the dremel could be held at a 90 degree angle to the frame.
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

snchin

by snchin

Hi Johhny,

Digging up your old thread. :-)
How's the internal battery that you purchased? Have you faced any issues with regards to charging and the battery retaining it's charge?
Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

My experience with internal batteries from ebay:

* have 2 bikes with them, ridden fairly regularly (approx 5k km on each of them each year)
* charging no more frequently than once per 5-6 months (no mountains in my country, everything is rideable in the big ring :D)
* one battery died suddenly without warning last year, leaving me singlespeed in a middle of a ride :D The ebay seller replaced it with a new one, which has held up good so far
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

mrlobber wrote:My experience with internal batteries from ebay:

* have 2 bikes with them, ridden fairly regularly (approx 5k km on each of them each year)
* charging no more frequently than once per 5-6 months (no mountains in my country, everything is rideable in the big ring :D)
* one battery died suddenly without warning last year, leaving me singlespeed in a middle of a ride :D The ebay seller replaced it with a new one, which has held up good so far

Same for me, except for one battery only (ridden 8000km per year).

First battery died due to water spray from rear tire, which came down the seat tube from the top.
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

would you recommend I use the external cable guides on the down tube of my EVO hi-mod to drill for an internal routing port? Also, where did you find those rubber "gaskets" to help seal the routing holes to give a nice factory finish to the cable holes?

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

I don't see any problem in routing your external cables internally - but the connectors are thicker than the internal cables, so you will have to drill bigger holes.
You can find the rubber pieces at ebay - look for "Di2 grommets"
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Is this for second generation Di2, or for the first Generation?
Looking at the cables and the shrink wrap on the bottom bracket, it looks like this DIY is for the first generation Di2.

Andreas

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

First generation
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

lobular

by lobular

Anyone know if these batteries are still available? Seems like less around since 11spd and Shimano's own internal battery have been released. I had one (same as Johhny Bravos), worked perfect, but then accidentally cut up one of the wires when re-inserting seat post (think wires got pressed up against bottle cage mount).....debating whether to get another, or just continue to use external battery.

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

Contact the guy who sold you that one - he can surely build another.
I saw his listing at ebay last week, i think he is still doing the job. I will contact him for a spare as soon as i have the cash.
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

snchin

by snchin

hmmm..interesting...
It's good that the seller does replacements. But having it go dead mid ride is certainly not something nice.
And the time it takes for the replacement to arrive is something I am not looking forward too as well.
I have the original and fugly battery (7970) that will mounted at the bottle cage. Gets the job done...but i am trying if there are other more stealthy (and reliable) options.

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Johhny Bravo wrote:First generation

I though you are hacking 2nd Generation and can charge inline within the system.

The solution from Shimano was so expensive that I hacked Di2 2nd Generation for using internal battery. I disassemble BMR1 and took the circuit, and rewired it. Cheaper alternative, but the problem is that I need to take out the seatpost for charging.

Thanks.
Andreas

jk75

by jk75

Great post. I'm also looking to convert my addict to di2. How large were the holes you drilled? What diameter bit?
Thanks

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

I don't remember the diameter of the drill bit, but the hole size was just enough for the plug to pass thru.
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

For the E-Tube I used a 1/4inch which is a 6mm hole and the Shimano grommets fit perfectly.