HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:34 am 

I have been kicking around the idea of some new deeper tubular wheels for far too long now.

The CITEC's caught my eye recently and the company's wheels continually receive good marks for stiffness and performance, albeit predominantly from the German magazines, etc.

Despite this model being on the market for several years, there seems to be oddly limited real-world information about the 6000 CX tubular model.

From the site the rim and tire bed is carbon and the brake track is alu bonded to the carbon rim (and supposedly replaceable.)

Any feedback from members who have tested or own these wheels would be appreciated.
The issue I am getting at is the classic one concerning: high speed, steep, long descents and braking efficacy (i.e. Alps and Dolomites.)

http://citec.de/main.php?id=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:34 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

You can get HED Stinger 4 for that price, which are known to work very well (I have the 6s).

Honestly I don't think for a carbon tubular the alu brake track is very desirable. Braking might be a bit smoother, but carbon pads have come a long way. On the flip side, carbon and alu have different thermal extension coefficients, so heating up the rim puts on additional strain.

Also, in my experience, the "fast" part of the descents is not the problem, you'll get lots of ventilation to cool your rims. Steep and slow (stuck in traffic, technical terrain) is the worst.

Last edited by HillRPete on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm 

The Stingers have a rider weight limit of 95 kg and I am rolling about at roughly 88 right now - under, yes, but wheels with a rider weight limit always cause me to pause. The HEDs do look good though.

The CITECs can be had at a discount of a couple hundred EUR from what the MSRP is, so you are correct, price is about the same. The aero tests also seem similar.

The brake track should not be a huge problem in terms of heat with long descents. I am not a huge braker anyway. (I have to catch up to the mountain goats on the backside.) However, I have spent a week in the high mountains in really heavy rain and would shudder to consider doing that with carbon brake tracks. (Yes, many will flame on about how that is nonsense...)

That the CITEC uses DT hubs is a bit dissapointing and tips the HEDs in my opinion. Maybe just save up another year and do the ENVE custom thing... or Bora Ultras.

Thanks for the comments. If anyone has more to add about the CITEC 6000 CX model, they are appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

More digression, for which I apologise in advance, but have you considered generic wheels, like Wheelsmith-UK's new 23mm wide 50mm tubulars? While I don't have any first-hand experience with those, Wheelsmith has a very solid reputation, and puts their products through some testing of their own (no lab tests though, afaik). Good range of hubs to match (and rims too, including the Enve's you mentioned).