Ciamillo carbon crank now with pre-launch offer information!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

@lewolive :goodpost:

except......

lewolive wrote:because all wheels are different (not centered exactly the same way)

I don't quite understand that. Surely all wheels are centred to the same centreline, that's what centred means. Some are wider for sure, but I'm not aware of any asymmetric wheels, or are there some?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lewolive

by lewolive

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:@lewolive :goodpost:

except......

lewolive wrote:because all wheels are different (not centered exactly the same way)

I don't quite understand that. Surely all wheels are centred to the same centreline, that's what centred means. Some are wider for sure, but I'm not aware of any asymmetric wheels, or are there some?

I have 2 handmade wheels (1 Kinlin/1Reynolds) and I can say that there is about 0.5/1mm of difference in terms of centering. I know that on DA brakes I would probably not change the centering, but on Gravitas very close to the rim, I adjust the springnut each time I change the wheels, but yes, it's working without this operation.

runner999

by runner999

I have bikes with DA 7900 brakes, KCNC C7, cantilever, SL Gravitas, Zero-G's and SL Negative G's. Swapping out wheelsets not being centered can indicate a dishing issue and I'd have that fixed regardless of the brakes being used so the wheel/tires track on the road correctly. In my experience, the single pivot Ciamillo brakes are less forgiving of dishing issues and rim widths and require a few minutes of tweaking when swapping rims out. But if you notice, even the dbl pivot brakes adjusted perfectly so the pads make contact to the rims evenly on one wheelset don't on another. If you are not overly fussy about your bikes setup (unlike me), dbl pivot brakesets typically have greater tolerances to rim width/dishing issues.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

lewolive wrote:
I have 2 handmade wheels (1 Kinlin/1Reynolds) and I can say that there is about 0.5/1mm of difference in terms of centering. I know that on DA brakes I would probably not change the centering, but on Gravitas very close to the rim, I adjust the springnut each time I change the wheels, but yes, it's working without this operation.

That's a lot of off-centering. You should just get your wheels re-dished and recentered proper.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

Really interesting where this has started from and where it's up to now... i'm excited to see more!
:popcorn:

lewolive

by lewolive

Well, the green points are locking the junction between aluminum and carbon tubes. I trust Ted on the forces that are applying on a such part.

The prototype will be finally a BB30 in order to fit the bikes that Ted and me are currently riding. So it's compatible with all frames on the market except Trek Madone. But there will be shortly a BB24 available.

Ted has just told me that there was only the spider to machine and the to assemble to the rest of the crank. Then the prototype will be ready.... I hope this week !
The spider is easy to machine as it's just a double sided aluminum part and he has already machined one for the V1.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Dragons Dens would of gone like this, No product, no sales, no money, NO WAY

bikedoc

by bikedoc

WW version of Dragons Dens,
Its going to be light, here take all the money you want but dont worry im not in a hurry for a return on investment

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Over 9 weeks ago, Juanmoretime wrote that Ted Ciamillo wrote:Shipping of the Gravitas Crank will begin in six weeks. We are now taking pre-orders and offering a special price for the first 100 customers.
lewolive wrote:Ted has just told me that there was only the spider to machine and the to assemble to the rest of the crank. Then the prototype will be ready.... I hope this week !
So it's been more than 9 weeks since pre-orders opened and the crank was to begin shipping in 6 weeks, and a prototype is not yet available. Does something not seem quite right here?

Maybe the ZeroG/Ciamillo crank should be called the Godot?

artray

by artray

I bet Vladimir and Estragon did not put a hefty deposit down :lol:

ricerocket

by ricerocket

HammerTime2 wrote:
Over 9 weeks ago, Juanmoretime wrote that Ted Ciamillo wrote:Shipping of the Gravitas Crank will begin in six weeks. We are now taking pre-orders and offering a special price for the first 100 customers.
lewolive wrote:Ted has just told me that there was only the spider to machine and the to assemble to the rest of the crank. Then the prototype will be ready.... I hope this week !
So it's been more than 9 weeks since pre-orders opened and the crank was to begin shipping in 6 weeks, and a prototype is not yet available. Does something not seem quite right here?

What century are you living in? Your customers ARE your beta testers. :lol:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Jesus Christ people, can we stop filling this thread up with such tripe and actually wait to see proper pics and feedback from Ted??

Mods, help?!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

BikeTart wrote:Jesus Christ people, can we stop filling this thread up with such tripe and actually wait to see proper pics and feedback from Ted??

Mods, help?!

Amen

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Got an idea, Everyone who wants the lightest, stiffest, best shifting crank out there send me $800 then when Ive got enough money I'll contact some guys i know who can design and make it. It may take them a few months but hey we dont mind a bit of a wait.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Oh shut up.