Ciamillo carbon crank now with pre-launch offer information!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I still giggle at folks that are irked about the fact that the last crank project didn't get sold to the public.

The cranks were produced, well tested and performed very well but were waaaay more expensive than the top line crank at that weight and he just decided that if he wasn't bringing an advantage, he would rather not sell em.

He spent a LOT of time and money on them and could have sold several on the looks alone and made $ but decided the product wasn't good enough.

I'm not saying that everything else with Zero G and Ted has been perfect (and he's pretty quick to admit it as well), but I think the biggest mistake Ted made with the first crank project was communicating so openly with the WW community while trying to develope a product...

WW went from being happy to talk about next gen or special project and product development to a place where a manufacturer can expect to gain very little usable feedback while risking a tidal wave of poo in the case they share any work in progress...
Last edited by CharlesM on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Wow, that thing is beautiful!

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Oh man, now I will have to invest in a BB30 frame... :doh:

Those look stellar. Did I understand the weight posted is for the BB, cranks and spider? Nice, but I don't see the BB on there.
The inserts for the pedals are quite elegant too.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

This makes me even more butthurt about the Cento1 not being BB30 compatible :(

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Can be adapted for non BB30...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Since spindle length is customizable it can, in theory and practice, be adapted to any currently existing standard: 68mm, BB30, BB386, BBWrong... i mean, BBRight, Shimano Press-Fit, SRAM Press-Fit. Except for ZED Crank standard. Which isn't a standard at this time outside of Look frames.

Anyway, It looks great, if I was in the market for one right now I would consider it.

Hopefully it will be included in the next round of Madcow's crankset tests.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sedluk

by sedluk

448 grams is nothing to get excited about. It is not a bad weight for a modern crankset but many of us are currently riding lighter cranksets so not sure why there would be any excitement. They seem kind of expensive for the weight.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I think it looks pretty good, though the spider is a bit unsightly.

As for the adjustability of it, that just seems like great engineering.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

HammerTime2 wrote:You should be grateful if it comes at all.
Zero G Boxer Squad
No crank for you. Come back, 5 years. Neeext!!

typical
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedplay is the devil!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

topflightpro wrote:As for the adjustability of it, that just seems like great engineering.

Theoretically speaking, if Cannondale offered different spindle lengths separate from their crank arms then those too will be "any-system" compatible.
It was only a matter of time before some company/mfg decided to take that approach.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spytech

by spytech

will the original crank testers who got "just a tee-shirt" get one?

these look good. does the crank weight include BB???

bricky21

by bricky21

sedluk wrote:448 grams is nothing to get excited about. It is not a bad weight for a modern crankset but many of us are currently riding lighter cranksets so not sure why there would be any excitement. They seem kind of expensive for the weight.

What other cranks are available at or below 450g for crank, BB, and spider at or below $1100? Thats a serious question BTW, as I'm not really up on WW cranks.

deek

by deek

How are they adjusting the chainline to make up for the different length spindles?

sedluk

by sedluk

The THM Clavicula crank is 336 grams and a THM shell with bearings is 74 grams, total 410 grams. The Ax Lightness is about the same.

It is not clear so far if the Ciamillo 448 grams (or 454) includes a BB and/or what kind of BB, but even if it does it is not breaking any new ground and sells for about what you can pay for a Clavicula or Ax Lightness crank and is heavier. But if you really like the looks and don’t mind the extra weight then it looks like a nice crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com