Tires blowing off Stan's Alpha 340 rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

kulivontot wrote:I think the lessons here are:
Pump less than 100PSI
Use tubeless if possible, preferably Hutchinson
Potentially watch out for schwalbe and gp4000's
Definitely use Stan's yellow tape, 2 layers

Please explain to me
why using 2 layers of Stans yellow tape would help?!
Last edited by PSM on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dawsoner

by dawsoner

I use tubes and I struggled with my tire beads not seating properly for a while, but after a lot of trial and error I think I have some good answers to conclude this thread and supplement Kulivontot's post above. I only had one blow out (using 25mm GP4Ks), but my tires wouldn't seat properly and it felt like I was constantly riding super bumpy terrain as my tires hopped as they rotated due the tire being noticeably taller where the bead hadn't seated.

Here's what I've learned:
1. Use 10-12mm tape when you are USING TUBES, just wide enough to cover the spoke holes. When I use wider tapes, 16mm Velox or otherwise the tape won't stay centered and interferes with the bead's ability to seat properly.

2. Also be sure to massage the tires a bit once they are mounted onto the rims. When you finally get that last tight bit of your tire onto the rim the side you've been working has all the slack or extra diameter in one small spot. When you inflate your tire you will probably find that area where the bead won't properly seat is the area you last mounted on the rim. Evening out the tension in the bead will help it to seat properly.

Great wheels otherwise, I have mine mounted on a set of Dura-Ace HB/FH-9000 hubs with 28/32 spokes and they ride like a dream!

Good luck everybody and no more blowouts!

Edit: About me--175lbs, background in pro downhill mountain biking (so I descend like I'm racing moto GP), and I ride 25mm Continental GP4Ks almost 100% of the time.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

dawsoner wrote:Here's what I've learned:
1. Use 10-12mm tape when you are USING TUBES, just wide enough to cover the spoke holes. When I use wider tapes, 16mm Velox or otherwise the tape won't stay centered and interferes with the bead's ability to seat properly.

Stan says 2 layers of 21mm tape. I asked him. I've also had two tires blow off rims that did not have tape up to the bead socket.

According to Stan, it's the tension of the tire bead against the "shelf" that is primarily keeping the tire on. That little lip is not doing much, unlike normal "hook-bead" rims.
formerly rruff...

purplecu22

by purplecu22

just a question. my stans 340 wheels have become some training wheels. Anybody try a steel bead tire just for training? Did it blow off?

purplecu22

by purplecu22

bueller??? bueller???

Orlok

by Orlok

purplecu22 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:43 am
just a question. my stans 340 wheels have become some training wheels. Anybody try a steel bead tire just for training? Did it blow off?
:roll: There aren't tubeless road tires with a steal bead, so . . . . . . . :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

purplecu22

by purplecu22

i understand they are not tubeless. stans says you can run clinchers also. steel clinchers, I dont care about the weight. I just want a clincher that will not blow off the rim.

RadB

by RadB

phazon wrote:
Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:43 pm
I'm running Bontrager R3 TLRs - no problem so far in a couple of thousand km. I would second the braking feel, the actual braking is great, but definitely not the smoothest

Otherwise excellent wheels
Tyres might blow off unexpectedly but otherwise excellent wheels 🤣

Orlok

by Orlok

purplecu22 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:05 am
i understand they are not tubeless. stans says you can run clinchers also. steel clinchers, I dont care about the weight. I just want a clincher that will not blow off the rim.
You can't run clinchers on hookless rims, so clinchers will be mounted on hooked rims only.! Clinchers will blow of the rims when they are surheated by warming up, sun and rimbraking too long.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless