Enve/Schmolke Combo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Just thought I'd share this. It was sent to me as a bit of a surprise by a really nice person, now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

It's a Schmolke TLO 26 bar bonded to an Enve stem. Total weight was 226 grams, making it the lightest bar/stem combo that I can think of.
Attachments
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

ricorob

by ricorob

That is beautiful! I'll take one in a 42/100 please. ;~)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Holy crap, that's the most beautiful thing I've seen today. Nice people are the best :thumbup:

artray

by artray

Wow ,very nice . If your nice friend has the urge to make a 120mm 17 degree . 40 cm bars I would be very happy to take it off your hands sir :wink:
That really is a nice combo . Mount it up and let us know how it rides . :thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

Very cool! Interesting they bonded a 26 mm bar to a 31.8 mm stem clamp. Enve stems are bricks, but apparently eliminate the clamp and it's competitive.

Very sorry I missed your bike in my one day Interbike raid. I somehow missed the Enve booth, which is still painful to write. Ugh.

If I were to get impulsive, perhaps the first thing I'd do would be to get some of those bars. I've been running more than riding lately, however.

I'd bet you'd sell a decent number of those if you offered it via your shop (drool!) the tell-tale creak of my Extralite clamp giving up a few degrees when I inadvertantly ace the pothole descending the 18% grade on my street is tiresome.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am wondering if that said person is in Boulder?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

BmanX wrote:I am wondering if that said person is in Boulder?

My exact thoughts...

BmanX

by BmanX

My hopes is that is yes for reasons to be seen at a later date.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by 2011

http://www.applemanbicycles.com/applestem-handlebar

Looks close to the fine work of Matt Appleman. He does a similar job for $100.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

i don't think it is Appleman
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

BmanX

by BmanX

I know it was not who I thought it was in Boulder? So who did this. I had a few comments sent my way how how they could have done it lighter with a better transition from stem to bar.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I guess I wasn't clear, the nice person that sent this to me is not the one who did the work. This person is a member of this board and I know he's seen this thread, so I just wanted to make sure to say address him and say thanks publicly. (I don't know how he feels about being named so I don't want to mention who it was.)

As for the combo, the work was actually done by Calfee. They've made some changes from what they were previously doing with bonding and it's shows in the weight and the finish. As for the transition from 31.6 stem to 26 bar, I think they did a great job and this looks fantastic in real life.

sedluk

by sedluk

I sent Calfee an Ax Lightness bar and stem:

Ax Lightness now has a UD version of their stem, I have several of them, that would look even better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I asked Schmolke about their "ergo" bar and they recommended instead the shallow drop. I'm not a shallow drop fan because they don't afford as wide a range of positions. If I can ride in my drops when I need to, having a moderate-drop versus shallow-drop bar gives me a more relaxed hood and top position.

Is this the shallow drop?

BTW, I also told them I didn't much like the idea of 5-deg flare-back. He seemed to support that view: it provides for a non-neutral wrist angle.

Schmolke bars are one of those things which I can't rationalize, but are very cool.