New bladed super spoke from Sapim. CX-Super

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Hi, Just wondering if anybody in the WW forums as any experience on the new spoke from Sapim the bladed version of the Super Spoke.

http://hawleyusa.com/thcStore/Catalog/I ... d=SPOK4002
(these seem to be available to the public now)

Also does anybody know a reliable source to get 1.8 nipples? As these Spokes have a 1.8-1.4-1.8

-Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

231 grams (64 pieces in 260mm length) - Bladed Super Spoke

278 grams (64pcs/260mm) - Cx-ray

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

They build up really well, just like a CX-Ray, but lighter.

You get decent nipples with the spokes anyway, but DT and Sapim both sell nipples seperately - just go to your local shop/builder and they should have some/be able to get some. The site you've linked to lists the DT nipples (15G is 1.8mm, 14G is 2mm)

petal666

by petal666

I have hard enough time stopping CX-rays from twisting, even when holding them.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

I'm really excited to get these for my 50mm carbon clinchers I hope to buy soon. I'll be doing a 20/24 spoke setup, so how/who do I negotiate with to get four spokes instead of buying another bag of 20? Anyone selling them in lower quantities? (thought I saw 10 somewhere...)

HakanC

by HakanC

breezerboy wrote:15G is 1.8mm, 14G is 2mm

Is that really true?

bricky21

by bricky21

^ yes.

HakanC

by HakanC

bricky21 wrote:^ yes.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_wire_gauge
is
15G = 1.829 mm
14G = 2.032 mm

Why can't people stop using obsolete units!

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Unless I'm mistaken 17% decrease in weight implies 17% more stretch.
I was under the impression that stiffness not strength was the limiting factor in low spoke count wheels.
r o y g b i v

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

BobSantini wrote:Unless I'm mistaken 17% decrease in weight implies 17% more stretch.
I was under the impression that stiffness not strength was the limiting factor in low spoke count wheels.

It will certainly be less stiff (~17% less). But if it is pre-tensioned the same amount, it will allow ~17% greater rim deflection before it goes slack... so it isn't all bad. Front wheels and the NDS could benefit from a lighter spoke in many applications, IMO.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

We have been building a first wheelset with these new spokes.
The result is outstanding, the wheelset is just 795g. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that this new spoke introduces a new era of spokes for weightweenies.
It is as easy to build as a standard DT Aerolite or Sapim Cx-ray, it doesn't twist, and it must be a really aero spoke.
Bladed cross section is just 2.1/0.75. Thread and head are 1.8mm.
This spoke is about 20% lighter than the Aerolite and Cx-ray.

I typed an article about it last week: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-53429708.html

ergott

by ergott

What internal nipples are available for these? I wanted to do a front wheel with them, but didn't find nipples.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Sapim site does not list the the bladed super spoke yet and the pic in the link just looked like the round super spoke. I don't doubt it exists but when will chickens be bringing them in they have yet to bring in the super spoke.

jdp211

by jdp211

a few of the distributers were showing superspoke availability a few weeks ago when i was pricing out a wheel build, super light, super expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I understand why they used the 1.8 for the supers but still think it was a bad choice. The super series were developed in conjunction with Tune and Tune is fine with mostly using standard nipples which means they don't have the same compatibility issues.

Personally I prefer the megalite which has a 2.0 threading. We've been testing some wheels with them for a few months now and have been quite impressed with them. The only issue I have with them is that the black is not the same matte black as a DT aerolite or CxRay so if you are mixing spokes DS and NDS using megalites there is a little difference in appearance. However the megalite on it's own has a really nice looking "black" finish which looks a bit like gun metal.