Small defect in Carbon Tubular rim? Cause for concern?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Okay, so I've noticed what I think is a defect in my rear rim of my 50mm tubular wheel from Farsports. I couldn't see it without the tire mounted but now that it's glued I was looking at the eveness of my tire mount and noticed this small depression in the rim edge. Looks like a noticeable dent that makes the outer edge look less round than the rest. You can really see it because you can notice a few more millimeters of the tire's tape sticking out.

Should this be cause for concern? If it's just aesthetic I'm fine with it, but I don't want to be riding on dangerous rims that might roll. I'm going to email bella from farsports about this and show he the pics..... Really hoping I don't have to send it back to China.... That would suck.

I've already ridden hard on the wheels and they've felt great, but again, I don't want to have to worry about them.

Thanks for any advice.

Here's what it looks like

fa63

by fa63

That looks like it is warped. I am not a carbon expert by any means, but I am not sure I would ride those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

syncmaster

by syncmaster

When I looked at the rim from the top, and spun it to see if they were out of true or had any issues, I didn't notice any side to side warping in that spot. I think what's being affected is the up and down of the edge, not side to side.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I'd get in touch with the vendor and request a replacement. However, if you don't get anywhere, I'd ride it.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Return it.

A lot of stress goes into that corner.

borja

by borja

Return it.
Braking with this rim might be a problem

syncmaster

by syncmaster

As in, braking might eventually be a problem? So far I've had no issues braking with it.

I will see what they say but I think it might be safest to return it and get a new one. Maybe I can convince them to pay for return shipping since it's their error.... rats. Looks like it'll be about $60 to ship back to them.

Or maybe They can just send me a new rim and I can get a mechanic to re-build with the new rim?...
Last edited by syncmaster on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

You are just asking for trouble if you ride that wheel. Not worth it to you and anyone you are riding with whom you might possibly take down in a crash.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I agree. I'm going to see if they'll send me a replacement rim.

incognitus

by incognitus

Ouch...the picture might exaggerate the issue, but to me this looks like a sub-standard wheel that should not have been shipped to anyone but the junk yard. Moreover, besides the obvious problems (braking/rolling), I would not feel safe about what else has been missed by QC.

I'd send it back.

elviento

by elviento

the vendor should feel pissed that they sold something like that to you. obviously a substandard product. beyond any acceptable level of tolerances even for the $400 ebay goods.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

absolutely substandard and should not have been shipped. hopefully the maker will co-operate and exchange it. I'd scream if they say no because you already mounted a tire...maybe in some other countries, but here the consumer is not expected to microscopically inspect a bike rim before use.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Just asking, so don't misinterpret, but you say you've already ridden the wheels, so is it possible that this resulted from a "trauma" while riding, such as hitting a pothole?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

syncmaster wrote:As in, braking might eventually be a problem? So far I've had no issues braking with it.

Braking //// Breaking...

With crap quality like this, there's no reason not to think that either spelling will eventually be correct

syncmaster

by syncmaster

HammerTime2 wrote:Just asking, so don't misinterpret, but you say you've already ridden the wheels, so is it possible that this resulted from a "trauma" while riding, such as hitting a pothole?

Always possible, but I know that this deformation was there when I got the wheels. I just couldn't see it properly till the tire was mounted. When I first inspected the rims I thought what I was looking at was the brake track going lower in that spot, not an actual deformed edge.... It's slight so I didn't think anything of it, but then you could REALLY see it after the tire was mounted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com