shimano DA heavyweight pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trysixty

by trysixty

reaching into the absurb to get TT bike lighter............anyone have any ideas to take some grams off the shimano dura ace heavyweight pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonanks69

by simonanks69

Get speedplays! 8)
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Or some Looks Keo carbon Ti. Speadplay do have bearings problems apparantly.

jezza995

by jezza995

I've just replaced my speedplays zeros with Dura Ace. If you take into account the all up weight including cleats, the Dura Ace are lighter by 26 grams.

borja

by borja

DuraAce PD7900 or PD9000 are not that heavy. And taking into account the excellent durability, large contact area and a solid and safe feel, these are the best pedals for serious use.
These pedals last for years, maintainance free.

by 11.4

Are you comparing actual weights including cleats? The Speedplays are very light but the cleats are heavier. You can lose weight overall with some ultralight pedals but you risk breakage and they tend to have things go wrong faster. As mentioned many times above and in other threads, the Dura Ace pedals are simply bulletproof. There are a couple things you really don't want to have break on your bike, and your stem and pedals are at the top of the list.

mrfish

by mrfish

Some numbers:

Dura Ace PD7900 weight is something like 250g for pedals plus 75g for cleats and hardware = 325g
Time RXS Titanium 195g plus about 115g for cleats = 310g - later versions a bit lighter but don't work as well IMHO
Speedplay Nanogram 130g plus 85g cleats = 215g
Speedplay Zero 164 plus 118g cleats = 282g

So my recommendation would be to go for the DA or Time pedals on the basis that the Speedplays introduce more hassles than the weight reduction is worth. If you add cafe covers for the Speedplays then they're probably worse in system weight. Also the Speedplays are a bit lighter their non tolerance for walking, dirt and requirement for regular maintenance plus their dubious business practices (search the site for details) put me right off.

sawyer

by sawyer

mrfish wrote:Some numbers:

Dura Ace PD7900 weight is something like 250g for pedals plus 75g for cleats and hardware = 325g
Time RXS Titanium 195g plus about 115g for cleats = 310g - later versions a bit lighter but don't work as well IMHO
Speedplay Nanogram 130g plus 85g cleats = 215g
Speedplay Zero 164 plus 118g cleats = 282g

So my recommendation would be to go for the DA or Time pedals on the basis that the Speedplays introduce more hassles than the weight reduction is worth. If you add cafe covers for the Speedplays then they're probably worse in system weight. Also the Speedplays are a bit lighter their non tolerance for walking, dirt and requirement for regular maintenance plus their dubious business practices (search the site for details) put me right off.

Keo Blade Tis plus cleats are lighter than any of the above except the Nanograms, and reliable IME.

Agree re maintenance of Speedplays. Life is too short (if you have a remotely interesting life, and it's not just about cycling)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

artray

by artray

The Nanograms are only for racing. I found I was wearing out the speedplay cleats quite quick and the pedals seem to need a lot of TLC . The cleats cost nearly £40 to replace so I went over to look keos . I did like the double sided entry of the speedplays but they just have to many issues.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Look cleats identical in weight to Shimano cleats.

Pair of Keo Blade Ti's - ~180...185g. I'd say that Shimano pedals are more durable than Keo Blades, though (also from own experience).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Roeboe

by Roeboe

If you want to save some dollars go for ultegra carbon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63001205@N04/6215139348/

Cyco

by Cyco

To save weight and money get Keywin pedals
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

trysixty

by trysixty

broke down and bought the xpedo thrust 8 Ti...........however im going to take a grinder and see how much excess fat i can get off of my DA7800 pedals without screwing them up. will post results

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Time trialing and TT bikes are about efficiency (low watts resistance and of course high power output).......so you bought pedals that from what I understand use one or more bushings instead of actual ball bearing units. http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Product-R ... edals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd also suggest sticking with the very, very nice DA pedals, NOT grind away to save a few measly grams, and focus on "improvements" to increase overall speed elsewhere - how about a build list and let the group make other suggestions.

Knowing at what speed you TT, the type of terrain, and the rider weight helps a lot too.............I'm a long time WW but I can also save watts and increase speed by more than just focusing on weight of the bike....especially when elevation gain or rapid acceleration is not a major factor....