Help with setting up roval CLX 50 Tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

So I have the Roval CLX 50 and plan to run them tubeless. They come installed with rim tape and it comes with white plugs that I am supposed to push into the holes in them rim.
Am I supposed to put the plugs over or under the rim tape?
Based on the pics and instruction it looks like over the rim tape. Tried pushing them over, but I cant push even one into the whole.
I am sure it is a simple fix, but I am baffled.
Thanks

Y26

by Y26

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/roval-c ... apability/

check this article out and it seems to be under. Best to ask the store if that is where you bought it from or call any specialized dealer that carries such wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rasto

by Rasto

toronto-rider wrote:So I have the Roval CLX 50 and plan to run them tubeless. They come installed with rim tape and it comes with white plugs that I am supposed to push into the holes in them rim.
Am I supposed to put the plugs over or under the rim tape?
Based on the pics and instruction it looks like over the rim tape. Tried pushing them over, but I cant push even one into the whole.
I am sure it is a simple fix, but I am baffled.
Thanks

Hi, I have the same wheelst and also want to run it tubeless but so far I struggle to set it up with the tubeless plugs. IMHO the plugs are supposed to be used separately and without tape (see picture). The problem is that basically I can't get my new Schwalbe One Pro to seat. I tried the usual procedure which works well with rim tape and MTB wheels (soap water and gas cilinder) but without success. So for now I installed the tires with tubes. Tomorrow I will try co2 cartridge with one side of tire seated and will see what happens.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Thanks, will take it to my LBS to install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Tubeless with plugs instead of rim tape - what kind of magic is this? Does it work for anyone?

/a

Miller

by Miller

The usual remedy for a tubeless tyre not seating is to add a layer of tape. To me those plugs look more suited to a tubed installation. I would try removing them and just taping the rim in the usual way.

Rasto

by Rasto

Sooooo I just successfully installed tubeless tires on my roval clx 50 with tubeless plugs instead of tape :) I left the tires installed on the wheels with tubes for few days and then I used slightly bigger gas cilinder and hose for instalation of tubeless system without tape and viola...

Last edited by Rasto on Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

U have to use both the plugs and rim tapes in order to run tubeless. I could not make the wheels run tubeless with plugs only. If any of u can, do let me know

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Henryexige wrote:U have to use both the plugs and rim tapes in order to run tubeless. I could not make the wheels run tubeless with plugs only. If any of u can, do let me know

I think I know of a guy who disagrees...

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Why would you run the plugs with tape? Seems strange to suggest that a product that was designed to allow tubeless set up without tape in order to save weight would then need tape to work.

Rasto

by Rasto

Imaking20 wrote:
Henryexige wrote:U have to use both the plugs and rim tapes in order to run tubeless. I could not make the wheels run tubeless with plugs only. If any of u can, do let me know

Yes, you are correct! I don´t agree with Henryexige because obviously it is possible to install tubeless system with plugs (w/o tape) as you can see above. But it´s not a simple process. I have some experience with MTB tubeless systems with tape but this was definitely more difficult for me. One thing I learned is that you need more air (gas) to set the system with plugs compared to traditional tape. Another thing is that first I installed the tires and left it for few days so that the bead adapts a bit. I don´t do this with MTB tires but here it probably helped.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Rasto wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:

Yes, you are correct! I don´t agree with Henryexige because obviously it is possible to install tubeless system with plugs (w/o tape) as you can see above. But it´s not a simple process. I have some experience with MTB tubeless systems with tape but this was definitely more difficult for me. One thing I learned is that you need more air (gas) to set the system with plugs compared to traditional tape. Another thing is that first I installed the tires and left it for few days so that the bead adapts a bit. I don´t do this with MTB tires but here it probably helped.

Probably the setup didn't work with plugs only. Anyway, I didn't bother to open it up and live with the plugs n tape together.

fporter

by fporter

When I tried installing 25mm Pro ONE tires on my CLX 32 wheels with plugs it was a failure. I tried floor pump, CO2 and a compressor.

Gave up, removed the plugs and wrapped the front wheel with two wraps of Stans 25mm tape and was able to inflate the tire with my floor pump.

Rear wheel same but with the 25mm Silca platinum tape.

Tape is 4-5g heavier. But I feel better with the tape in case I need to use a tube. Might the tube be cut on the plugs? They're not the nice beveled velo plugs, instead they are squared off and some need deburred.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Thanks for all the replies.
LBS could not get it to work with just the plugs and used Tape as well. Once that was installed it was very easy.
Even called Specialized and they said only plugs, seems not so simple.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rasto

by Rasto

fporter wrote: Tape is 4-5g heavier. But I feel better with the tape in case I need to use a tube. Might the tube be cut on the plugs? They're not the nice beveled velo plugs, instead they are squared off and some need deburred.

I used the combo standard tube and specialized road plugs just to seat the tires for few days without problem. But if the weight difference between the tape and plugs is only 4-5g then it´s not a big deal even for a weightweenie... and definitely not worth of hassle... Nevertheless, I think I will stick with plugs because beside the "installation issue" they work great so far and my wheels are 10g lighter!!! :mrgreen: