New all-weather Bontrager AW3 hard-case/ Lite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Bontrager released its range of new "all-weather" tires, consisting of 3 different models. The more roadbike oriented hard-case lite and hard-case lite reflective and the more gravel/ touring oriented hard-case model.
All models are offered in 4 sizes between 25c and 38c, and can be used TLR (hookless also) and with an inner tube. The major features touted by Trek/ Bontrager are: puncture resistance (78% better than AW2), great all weather performance (with a threaded pattern on the side walls), and versatility (fast enough for road performance, strong enough for gravel).
Obviously, any producer will make shiny claims like that, and it is best not to believe much of it, until indecently proven. I am really waiting for the BRR test on them.
However, the two things that made them very interesting to me, is firstly, that they are a supposed puncture resistant road tire, that is fast enough for anything but racing, that also offers a reflective sidewall. And secondly, that they work on hookless rims (like the AW2 did).
The first point makes them a potentially great training tire for the still grim and dirty season until around May, the second point makes them a tire to work on my ENVE SES 4.5AR wheels for light gravel.
So I ordered a few of them, and rode the first 60k on them.
So far, I have only fit them on my road bike, and that worked very well. No tire levers needed to install, mine are installed with tubes, so no idea how well they work TL.
Ride so far: Good grip, good comfort, no sensation of it feeling too slow... none of that is conclusive, yet.
One image taken in the dark without flash and one with flash. Obviously reflective surfaces have an exaggerated effect when photographed with a flash. However, I have seen them in reality and it is surprising how well they relflect, even after 60k of riding in the wet.
Also for the weenies: the tires are officially rated at 305g (hard-case lite 28c reflective), but came in at 321g and 318g for me.
The hard case (these have an extra layer of protection, more akin to the Cintuarto) tires in 32c are rated 415g and came in at 411 and 417g for me.
I will keep you posted about further findings and my experience with the larger ones, that I have yet to install and test.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I've been running a pair of Bontrager R3 Lite all winter with about 2400km logged in cold, wet and gritty conditions. Mine must be the previous version but I have liked them very much. In 32mm width tubeless I've run them at 55F/60R and while not a road-racing tyre they've been very much fast enough. No worries about grip at all, excluding ice, and very comfortable. No flats. The only slight negatives I can say is that they lose pressure fast enough that a top-up is necessary before every ride and they seemed to get through sealant quickly despite no known punctures.