Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ahillock wrote:One last question, the above route is a bit of a pricey upgrade path, but will be ok if I can hopefully sell a few of those parts off that I don't need to someone who will want to piece together a Di2 kit. What is the advantage of getting the new junction box, battery + charger over something like this homemade kit being sold on eBay?

I assume part of it is that you don't get the warranty from Shimano and knowing that it should be plug and play if you go the Shimano route. But this looks like a decent option plus comes with a better battery than Shimano gives you.

If you get the new junction A you also need two new wires from the L/R shifters to the new junction A.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

pdlpsher1 wrote:If you get the new junction A you also need two new wires from the L/R shifters to the new junction A.

Awesome, thanks for answering that. I assume that is because the SM-EW67A-E had the wires designed into the junction box vs. the new SM-EW90 not having the wires built in?

For the length of the EW-SD50, are you guys using 300mm length for the shifters? Seems like that should be long enough, right?

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Junction A allows you to plug in the USB charger for charging the battery. It's more convenient than pulling the seatpost out.

So the seller of that eBay internal battery pack says:"This kit will charge the battery IN THE BIKE through one of the shifter ports, or you can buy a SM-JC41 junction box (not included, see photo 6) and charge by connecting to RD or FD cable."

"Charging instructions: To charge battery plug charger into bike before plugging the charger into AC outlet;

1 Plug charger into any open shift lever or junction port
2 Light on charger will turn green
3 Then plug charger into AC outlet light will turn red indicating charging
4 Within 60-90 minutes charger light will turn green indicating full charge
5 Unplug charger from AC outlet before unplugging from bike"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Di2-SEAT-POST-BATTERY-CABLE-KIT-FOR-ULTEGRA-OR-Dura-Ace-9070-Alfine-FITS-27-2-/300945651011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611c23543

pdlpsher1 wrote:Lastly if you are going with the internal battery option you should also get this http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/di2-seatpost-battery-mounts.html

Is that different than the one that comes with the SM-BTR2 battery? "The Shimano SM-BTR2 Di2 Battery is currently shipping with a seatpost assembly mounting hardware package,"

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-sm-btr2-di2-battery?CMP_SKU=SHI0622&MER=0406&skid=SHI0622-ONECOL-ONESIZ&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&mr:trackingCode=3C966FCC-48C8-E211-9F62-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=32341294425&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20762933025&mkwid=s1pat0en4_dc%7Cpcrid%7C32341294425&origin=pla&gclid=CIeY9ry737kCFcU7Mgod0lQAbg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Also, I assume in addition to the 2x EW-SD50 cables for the shifters, you need a cable for the SM-BTR2 battery to reach the SM-JC41 junction box? Or does the internal battery come with a long cable?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ahillock wrote:Awesome, thanks for answering that. I assume that is because the SM-EW67A-E had the wires designed into the junction box vs. the new SM-EW90 not having the wires built in?

Correct.

Ahillock wrote:For the length of the EW-SD50, are you guys using 300mm length for the shifters? Seems like that should be long enough, right?

Correct. The wire connects to the inside of the shifters.

Ahillock wrote:So the seller of that eBay internal battery pack says:"This kit will charge the battery IN THE BIKE through one of the shifter ports, or you can buy a SM-JC41 junction box (not included, see photo 6) and charge by connecting to RD or FD cable."

"Charging instructions: To charge battery plug charger into bike before plugging the charger into AC outlet;

1 Plug charger into any open shift lever or junction port
2 Light on charger will turn green
3 Then plug charger into AC outlet light will turn red indicating charging
4 Within 60-90 minutes charger light will turn green indicating full charge
5 Unplug charger from AC outlet before unplugging from bike"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Di2-SEAT-POST-BATTERY-CABLE-KIT-FOR-ULTEGRA-OR-Dura-Ace-9070-Alfine-FITS-27-2-/300945651011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611c23543

This will work fine. However why bother with it when you could get the Shimano parts for the same price? Here's the internal battery charger for $85 http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shima ... ZGkyOjE6NQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Internal battery for $150 http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606882336 ... s&var=sbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ahillock wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:Lastly if you are going with the internal battery option you should also get this http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/di2-seatpost-battery-mounts.html

Is that different than the one that comes with the SM-BTR2 battery? "The Shimano SM-BTR2 Di2 Battery is currently shipping with a seatpost assembly mounting hardware package,"

The black part that comes with the Shimano internal battery is a shim. The diameter of the shim is way too small to be useful for anything. You will have to get the Ritchey Logic battery holder.

Lastly, you will need a wire long enough to go from the internal battery to junction B. The Cannondale will have a wire from junction B to the external battery. However it might be too short for the Shimano seatpost battery. The internal battery doesn't come with a cable.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

pdlpsher1 wrote:
This will work fine. However why bother with it when you could get the Shimano parts for the same price?

I hear you and that is how I am leaning.

That isn't the SM-BCR2 battery charger that allows you to use E-Tube Project to update the firmware + charge the battery, is it? I assume it is, but the description doesn't list that.

Is this not the one that I want? http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-e-tube-battery-charger-for-ba9070-sm-btr2-w-charging-cord

pdlpsher1 wrote:
The black part that comes with the Shimano internal battery is a shim. The diameter of the shim is way too small to be useful for anything. You will have to get the Ritchey Logic battery holder.

Lastly, you will need a wire long enough to go from the internal battery to junction B. The Cannondale will have a wire from junction B to the external battery. However it might be too short for the Shimano seatpost battery. The internal battery doesn't come with a cable.

Thanks. I believe I will go that Ritchey route. Seems like the perfect setup and is a decent price as well.

Yeah I will get a cable long enough to get from the end of the seatpost down to the junction box B.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ahillock wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
This will work fine. However why bother with it when you could get the Shimano parts for the same price?

I hear you and that is how I am leaning.

That isn't the SM-BCR2 battery charger that allows you to use E-Tube Project to update the firmware + charge the battery, is it? I assume it is, but the description doesn't list that.

Is this not the one that I want? http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-e-tube-battery-charger-for-ba9070-sm-btr2-w-charging-cord

pdlpsher1 wrote:

Thanks. I believe I will go that Ritchey route. Seems like the perfect setup and is a decent price as well.

Yeah I will get a cable long enough to get from the end of the seatpost down to the junction box B.

The link that I provided is the SM-BCR2 and this is the one you need. I have the same part and I purchased it via the same vendor. I don't know anything about firmware updates. Since one end of the charger is a USB connector I assume it can be connected to a PC.

The link you provided is the battery charger for the external battery only. I hope this helps.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

pdlpsher1 wrote:
The link you provided is the battery charger for the external battery only. I hope this helps.

I might be a little dense, but it says it is for the Shimano E-Tube SM-BCR2 battery. That is probably why I got confused. But I will take your advice and order the part you linked to. Did you just get the charging cord off of eBay?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ahillock wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

I might be a little dense, but it says it is for the Shimano E-Tube SM-BCR2 battery. That is probably why I got confused. But I will take your advice and order the part you linked to. Did you just get the charging cord off of eBay?

The picture doesn't show the USB cord however the charger does come with one.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Cheers pdlpsher1, I put it in my cart and ordered it. I got a little confused by the description of the two items. Knowing that it works and is the right part is all I need to know.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Is the Di2 tool really needed?

I'm about to do build my bike w/ internal routing. My gruppo is currently on a external set up.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

g32ecs wrote:Is the Di2 tool really needed?

I'm about to do build my bike w/ internal routing. My gruppo is currently on a external set up.

No, however I do have small fingers :) This tool came with one of the Di2 components but I can't recall which one.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

pdlpsher1 wrote:

No, however I do have small fingers :) This tool came with one of the Di2 components but I can't recall which one.

I read that somewhere too but unfortunately the mech who did my build before I think stole it (together with some other bits and pieces like the washer from the brake calipers, some Di2 wires, etc).

Do you just pull the cord or is it like pinch and pull? How about attaching it?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

g32ecs wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

I read that somewhere too but unfortunately the mech who did my build before I think stole it (together with some other bits and pieces like the washer from the brake calipers, some Di2 wires, etc).

Just pinch and pull/push. Just make sure you don't pull/push on the wire itself.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I wonder how long Shimano is away from making E-Tube Project OSX compatible.

From an old article I remember reading:

The new 9070 Di2 also adds Multi-Shift Function and E-Tube Project Software. It’s free and a PC connector is included with the system. You’ll get a username and password that lets you download the software, but you’ll need the connector to do anything with it. At launch it’ll be PC only, but they’re working on a Mac version. Lawrence says their field techs use Macs running Parallels and it works fine. With it, you can program the shifter to cycle through multiple gears when holding down the shifter, even letting you set how quickly it shifts between gears when holding it down. Out of the box, it’ll be set stock to perform one shift per click.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/2013-shimano-dura-ace-unveiled/

rmerka

by rmerka

g32ecs wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

It's a snap! Super easy to do without the tool.

http://youtu.be/16M-S7MlhRo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com