Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Omiar

by Omiar

Past topics
New firmware: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107124

Saw the new Shimano catalog today. Some of it is available online also.
There is a climbers switch
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 799997.pdf
and TT bar end shiftes (no techdoc yet however), but no TT brake lever and shifter combo.

There is an internal battery SM-BTR2 coming, but there was no picture of it. The battery is the same for 9070 Di2, 6770 Di2 and Alfine systems.
I found a schema of Alfine Di2 parts, from there we can only assume that it is a round stick type battery.
(last page) http://www.fuchs-movesa.ch/tradepro/sho ... n_2012.pdf

Interesting is that the SW-R600 climber switch seems to be the same for both 9070 and 6770. The question of both groupsets overall compability and 6770 possible 11-speed upgrade is still unknown.
Last edited by Omiar on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Toby

by Toby

I'm still waiting for a firmware update to make it work on 11-speed. In fact, with electronic shifting, there's no reason that Shimano/ Campy parts couldn't be reprogrammed to work on each other's cassettes. But I can't see spending 6770 prices on locking myself into 10-speed... wish Shimano would realize that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

Toby wrote:I'm still waiting for a firmware update to make it work on 11-speed. In fact, with electronic shifting, there's no reason that Shimano/ Campy parts couldn't be reprogrammed to work on each other's cassettes. But I can't see spending 6770 prices on locking myself into 10-speed... wish Shimano would realize that.

Technically it is possible for sure. The main question is in markteing and sales.

runner999

by runner999

Toby wrote:I'm still waiting for a firmware update to make it work on 11-speed. In fact, with electronic shifting, there's no reason that Shimano/ Campy parts couldn't be reprogrammed to work on each other's cassettes. But I can't see spending 6770 prices on locking myself into 10-speed... wish Shimano would realize that.

Sounds like an aftermarket opportunity for an entrepreneurial programmer in the audience. :idea:

Omiar

by Omiar

Something new - Canyon has specced Shimano Di2 ST-9071 brake/shift levers for their otherwise full spec Ultegra Di2 Speedmax time trial bikes.
So from this we can assume that all the shifters seem to be compatible between the two groupsets.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

New firmware just came out for the Ultegra Di2 (this is the second time since original manufacture). No idea what fixes or changes it contains, but the version number went to "2". :noidea:

Yiannis-Super 6.

by Yiannis-Super 6.

Omiar wrote:Saw the new Shimano catalog today. Some of it is available online also.
There is a climbers switch
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 799997.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God, that climber's switch is fugly, I've seen the really small "sprinters" switches which you can get from Japan that can be mounted anywhere, elegant.
10 SuperSix Hi-Mod
07 System 6.
06 Caad 8
90s Merlin Extralight.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

goodboyr wrote:New firmware just came out for the Ultegra Di2 (this is the second time since original manufacture). No idea what fixes or changes it contains, but the version number went to "2". :noidea:

Snooping around, I found this page which has the changelog (not very detailed) on the firmware versions. It appears that the new firmware deals with "energy saving". My guess is that it addresses the issue people had with Ultegra Di2 depleting batteries at a higher rate than the Dura Ace 7970 version.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

Dimitri

by Dimitri

do you guys think the RD has a great enough range of motion to do 11s?

Omiar

by Omiar

Dimitri wrote:do you guys think the RD has a great enough range of motion to do 11s?

Yes.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The number of speeds the system will shift for, and the distance that it will move per shift, is controlled at the rear derailleur.
In other words:
6770 can shift 11speed, if you use a 9070 rear derailleur. 9070 can shift 10speed, if you use a 6770 rear derailleur.
This is how the Shimano guys at interbike explained it on more than one occasion.

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

Working with very small electric motors (amongst other things), I assume that means the motors are not 'stepping' motors, but infinitely variable - otherwise you couldn't have a 10-step motor run 11 cogs
2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

Omiar

by Omiar

thisisatest wrote:The number of speeds the system will shift for, and the distance that it will move per shift, is controlled at the rear derailleur.
In other words:
6770 can shift 11speed, if you use a 9070 rear derailleur. 9070 can shift 10speed, if you use a 6770 rear derailleur.
This is how the Shimano guys at interbike explained it on more than one occasion.

Excellent information :thumbup:

SpoonMan wrote:Working with very small electric motors (amongst other things), I assume that means the motors are not 'stepping' motors, but infinitely variable - otherwise you couldn't have a 10-step motor run 11 cogs

Well, along with the 9 (10spd) or 10 (11spd) steps for gear change, they also have 15 steps inward and 15 steps outward from the initial position.

kenshinvt

by kenshinvt

Would love to hear any more info people can dig up about mix and match compatibility with di2 9070.

I'm guessing that to use the new 9070 internal battery will just require a new cockpit junction box (so that you have the charging port) and that the box will work fine in a 6770 system. Sounds like if you picked the 5 port version you would also get ANT+ broadcasting?

Also if anyone hears anything about reverse-engineering the Can bus protocol messaging for custom applications. Maybe a potential source being the messaging between a PC and the system via the system checker?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Super_fast

by Super_fast

The protocol didn't looked like CANBus in the quick measurements we have done. With the old Dura Ace DI2 hacking it was really easy. The protocols were a bit strange (it works like home made stuff), but very easy to record and replicate. The communication frequency on the new E-tube stuff is a lot higher, which makes it impossible to decode the protocol with cheap hardware.