Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I know you said that you checked the shifter connections, but since you can enter crash mode with the button on the front JB, and both shifters don't work, that points to the shifter connections as the issue. The connections at the shifters can visually appear to be connected, but they may not be fully plugged in. Use the Shimano tool to unplug the connections and then use the tool to plug them back in, making sure you hear the distinctive "click" that occurs when they are properly plugged in. Without that click, they can look ok, but will not make the connections. Of course, all this assumes that you have a bit of slack loop of cable at the shifters. I've seen many LBS installs that don't have slack and thus the slightest movement of the levers on the bars disconnects the plugs, and then without slack makes it very tough to plug back in.

Rudi

by Rudi

Hi goodboyr, when I said I checked them, I mean I have done exactly as you describe. Sorry, I realise I didn't explain the steps in detail. If it was that connection I would have expected the bike to shift when I plugged it into the other bike though

What I haven't done is let a bit of slack out so I'll go back and try that. It was pretty tight on both sides.

My only other thoughts are that something has happened at the junction that is internal near the BB. I can see the connector through the small opening under the BB but assume I need to remove the BB to actually access it. Don't have those tools at the moment so am looking into LBS options.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

OK, really confusing myself now.

So if bike 1 doesn't shift and bike 2 does:
I initially connected the shifters on bike 2 into the wiring on bike 1 and got no response. I've now done the reverse and connected the shifters on bike1 into the wiring on bike 2, and bike 2 does shift. To me that confirms it is not a connection issue at the shifters on bike 1.

I'm confused because that seems to suggest that there is something wrong in the wire from SM-EW67 to SM-JC41, but if that was the case then why did the crash reset work?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Anders

by Anders

I just upgraded from my derailleures from 6770 to 6870. My whole setup is:

ST-6770
SM-BTR2
FD-6870
RD-6870
SM-EW67
SM-JC41

I tried to update the firmware with my modified SM-BCR2 but the program tries to upgrade the battery initially and asks for the EW90 as reported previously. There is no way to get around this as far as I know blocking the possibility to do anything else. Is there any way to get around the need to invest in a EW90? If I need to buy a EW90 can I then still continue to use the SM-EW67? It fits my bike much better.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I'm in the process of getting everything for a new bike that I want to build with 10 speed Di2. I know I need to run the 6770 RD, which really stinks as I wish the much nicer looking and sleeker 6870 would work with 10 speed. But life moves on.

Would you guys recommend paying the extra and going with the 6870 shifters over the 6770? Or are the changes not that worthwhile (I believe it is just ergonomic changes).

I plan on using a 6870 FD as that should work just fine and will look a bit nicer.

Anders

by Anders

Ahillock wrote:I'm in the process of getting everything for a new bike that I want to build with 10 speed Di2. I know I need to run the 6770 RD, which really stinks as I wish the much nicer looking and sleeker 6870 would work with 10 speed. But life moves on.

Would you guys recommend paying the extra and going with the 6870 shifters over the 6770? Or are the changes not that worthwhile (I believe it is just ergonomic changes).

I plan on using a 6870 FD as that should work just fine and will look a bit nicer.

You can use a 11 speed cassette and the RD-6870 and remove the 11T on it and put two spacers behind the cassette. You need to use a 10 speed lockring as it's wider than the 11 speed version. Then you adjust the limit screws to fit it. I did it this sunday with a 12-28 and it worked fine. When you get a 11 speed rearwheel you have all what is needed to fit the 11th gear.

Anders

by Anders

I purchased the SM-EW90A junction box and did the upgrade of everything but the FD. I have no idea what improvements it brings. When using the EW67 it's rather complicated to update the levers as the connectors in the levers are difficult to disconnect. Though Shimano says you may not install two junctions boxes at the same time I did it anyway and I could connect to the PC and operate the derailleur ajdustments. I didn't try to update firmware like this though.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Anders wrote:You can use a 11 speed cassette and the RD-6870 and remove the 11T on it and put two spacers behind the cassette. You need to use a 10 speed lockring as it's wider than the 11 speed version. Then you adjust the limit screws to fit it. I did it this sunday with a 12-28 and it worked fine. When you get a 11 speed rearwheel you have all what is needed to fit the 11th gear.

Thanks for explaining that Anders.

When you talk about the two spacers behind the cassette, I assume you mean placing two spacers onto the hub first and then slide the 11spd cassette onto the hub?

What sort of spacers would be needed? Just 0.5 mm each? Or would they need to be thicker?

After making the above modifications, what happens when you make that 11th gear change when upshifting?

Anders

by Anders

You need 2mm spacing in total. There is a clutch in the RD you can hear ticking a fee times and then it return to the 10th gear. I'm not sure if it damages the RD in the long run but I just made sure to know which gear I was in.

biotin

by biotin

Hi guys , its possible for BTR2 to be dead ? Is it faulty ?

1.Battery not charging
2.Replaced the cable from jm41 to btr2
3.I've removed all the cables except connect new cable from ew90 to btr2 , not charging.

help !

RMcC

by RMcC

I currently have a mostly 6870 setup on my road bike apart from a SM-EW67 and external battery. I wanted to turn it into a TT setup and change to an internal battery. My plan was to use and Anders/Freeloader style charger but if I dont have the extra port on the road shifters, can I connect the charger to the SM-JC40 external junction box if I remove a connection?

If the above would work would I be able to update the firmware etc? I havent done it since Ive had Di2 as I dont have the PCE1 to do it.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I have problems with the chain dropping on the 6870 groupset, any solutions?

When you shift up and down between the 19 and 25 it happens that the chain suddenly falls on the small ring. You can shift up and down 20 times without problems but then once in a while it jumps of the 52. It's a quite annoying problem to encouter during a race to say the least.
It's not because of the autotrimming that this happens, the chain doesnt touch the FD. The chain looks to be too much crooked, 11speed is too much ... :roll:. The bike is 6 months old and every part is Ultegra 6870

gojuanes

by gojuanes

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum and Di2,... I got my DI2 installed today at the LBS and it worked without issues. Then I got home and downloaded the E-tube Project software in order to configure the shifting of the FD and add multi shift mode to the RD. after downloading the software it prompt me to update firmware for the battery (internal) and the junction box (5port). After that when running the connection check it told me that the FD 6870 and my RD 6770 are not in the same compatible group and it didn't allow me to move forward. After that my bike stopped shifting and it doesn't work anymore.

I kept playing around and found out that If I unplug either the FD or the RD then it allows me to set up in e-tube project and it also allows me to shift with the derailleur that is currently connected.

So at this point I can only operate one derailleur at a time when a few mins before I was able to operate both without issues (before the software).

Any idea why is this happening?,... I know the FD 6870 and RD 6770 are not in the same compatible group but it should still work and it was working before.

Please help. Thanks!

Anders

by Anders

It seems Shimano has been modifying the e-tube software to limit the possibilties to reuse old 10 speed components with the new 11 speed. For instance I needed to buy the new junction box to update the firmware. It's controlled by the pc e-tube software so he solution might be to install an older version of this, but it may not work as you already updated some of the firmware with the current e-tube software.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mathelo

by Mathelo

The exact same thing just happened to me. :( Worked fine before upgrading the firmware but not afterwards. I guess the only solution is to buy an FD-6770

gojuanes wrote:Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum and Di2,... I got my DI2 installed today at the LBS and it worked without issues. Then I got home and downloaded the E-tube Project software in order to configure the shifting of the FD and add multi shift mode to the RD. after downloading the software it prompt me to update firmware for the battery (internal) and the junction box (5port). After that when running the connection check it told me that the FD 6870 and my RD 6770 are not in the same compatible group and it didn't allow me to move forward. After that my bike stopped shifting and it doesn't work anymore.

I kept playing around and found out that If I unplug either the FD or the RD then it allows me to set up in e-tube project and it also allows me to shift with the derailleur that is currently connected.

So at this point I can only operate one derailleur at a time when a few mins before I was able to operate both without issues (before the software).

Any idea why is this happening?,... I know the FD 6870 and RD 6770 are not in the same compatible group but it should still work and it was working before.

Please help. Thanks!