Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

L3X

by L3X

glepore wrote:Some additions to the above. Shimano has disabled the automatic updates on their site, so etube no longer auto updates-you don't need to worry about the internet connection part. You can find 2.5, the latest firmware without the need for compatibility on the web if you want. However, if you purchase a new internal battery, it'll have the new firmware already loaded.

Then can you use the internal battery with the latest firmware with 10 speed other parts with no updates. Thus is the compatibility issue 100% in the FD/RD?

glepore

by glepore

That's my understanding.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gifted child

by gifted child

Help, 6770 fd not shifting, due to stripped cable, from brake cable rub. I think the wire got stripped and connection cut off. Possible to solder and reconnect the wires? ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Yes, there's nothing magic to them. If you have enough slack you can do it in situ, I'd put heatshrink over the cable first to cover the joint post solder.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I would just buy new cable.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

superdx

by superdx

You can solder it together, but remember Shimano says you need to keep keep some cable slack (flexibility) otherwise bumps and jarring will knock the cable loose. Happened to me once with the Di2 transmitter. If you cut it too much, the cable may not have enough slack and disconnect during riding. That would be a pain to fix mid-ride especially if those wires went into the bottom bracket.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

ok guys I'm stumped. I cobbled together a 6770 set up from second hand sources and everything was fine. Decided I wanted to upgrade to btr2 internal battery.
Cannot get the shifters to work with the BTR 2. Have swapped out the old style front junction for the EW90 3 port from another bike and fired up e tube. I have tried 3 different battery bet ups, the old external a BTR on latest firmware and a BTR on 2.3 or whatever the one is that lets you run 6870 RD (which I'm not upgrading just in case).
All of them etube says "the following cannot be used with etube ST6770 R and L please update your etube software or disconnect these items.
So I have updated etube to no effect and now I'm stuck with two shifters that just will not work with an internal battery.
Any suggestions?

PS I plugged my tt brakes/shifters in and they worked straight off with both btr 2s and the shifters still work with the old external battery using both the old style front junction and the new so it is definitely a communication issue between 6770 shifters and both btr2s and I am seemingly unable to connect the shifters at all to etube.

glepore

by glepore

Just a guess, but I suspect that the shifters are running a very old firmware. Probably older that 2.3. Try updating the shifters to 2.3 and try it with the 2.3 battery. See if that works. Your new battery may have 2.3 or newer, and if its later you may have to update everything. Funky stuff can happen if the firmware for all components isn't the same version.

You can download etube 2.3 from a couple places, do a google search.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Now sorted! Updated the 2.3 btr2 to 3.0 and they started playing nicely!

53x12

by 53x12

glepore wrote:I have no desire to go 11 spd as all wheels etc are 10...but god forbid I trash my rd as it appears that I'd have to go to ebay. I can't find a reliable source for 6770 rear derailleurs, I presume that Shimano has suspended production?

I guess do what Anders mentioned earlier in the thread. Go 6870, use a 11 speed cassette and take the 11T off. Use two spacers behind the cassette and you should be ok with a 10 speed wheel. I am also 10 speed guy (all of my wheels) and I refuse to go 11 speed now. So that is probably the route I am going.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

Just wanted to add what I'm running. I updated everything to the version 2.5.2 and will not update to further versions. I have a mix of 6770 and 6870 running very well together.
Brifters: ST-6770
A Junction: SM-EW67-A-E
Front D: FD-6770
Crankset: FC-6800
Rear D: RD-6870 11 speed
Rear Cassette: CS-6800 11 speed
Chain: CN-9000
Battery: SM-BTR1 External
Battery Mount: SM-BMR1 (or BMR2?)

Everything works great together, 6770 FD and 6870 RD work well together, with no cain rub or trim issues though out the gear range. I can cross chain and run large/large and small/small with out any rubs or drops.

I do my own work on my bike, but if it ever does go into the shop I will leave a big note taped to the Di2 system that says DO NOT UPDATE OR ATTACH TO COMPUTER!
Last edited by DeeHubbs on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

DeeHubbs, are you running it as a 10 or 11 speed?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

HardmanKnott

by HardmanKnott

53x12 wrote:DeeHubbs, are you running it as a 10 or 11 speed?

CS-6800 is 11 speed (and the whole point of the mix and match). ;-)

53x12

by 53x12

Thanks Hardman. I realize that regarding the 6870 RD. I have a 6770 groupo on one bike. My next build I am going to be doing a mix and match with a 6870 RD that I will be running in 10 speed. I was just curious to hear what DeeHubbs was running his 6870 RD as.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Hello all, new to Di2 with a BMC TMR01 and Ultegra Di2 6770. This has and ugly external battery down by the BB, so I just got a internal battery kit to change it over off of Ebay from seller eapathome.

Anyone tried this kit yet or one of his others ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301553179943?_t ... BIDX%3AIT#
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12