Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dha

by dha

I assume the etube software isn't Mac compatible :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asv

by asv

VMware fusion or parallels will allow you to run it on the Mac.

dha

by dha

Thanks

Omiar

by Omiar

Let try to sum up and verify some new information.

Multi shifting on 6770 is officially possible with new software
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Adapted multi shifting of RD-6770*

The new SM-BTR2 battery and SM-BCR2 charge are available

SM-BTR2 battery is connected via a regular EW-SD50 wire, so all 6770 owners should be able to use it.
Could someone verify that?
The description for the battery states to use the new SM-BCR2 charge only? This seems as an unfriendly move from Shimano, but it needs to be verified wheter this is an actual requirement or is Shimano just trying to make more money.

The good side of SM-BCR2 charge is that the description states:
The SM-BCR2 is also an interface for the Shimano E-Tube configuration software.
Which is very good news. If that is indeed correct and you can use it instead pf SM-PCE1, the price for it is actually very good.

About charging the new SM-BTR2 battery.
As I currently understand, 6770 owners must still remove the SM-BCR2 battery to charge it, as do 9070 owner who have internal Di2 wire installation. The isn't a 5 port junction box for 9070 nor 6770.
One option to charge it on the bike is to unplug a component and plug the charge there. Needs to be verified.
The new battery is chargeable on the bike only when you have 9070 with extarl wires and are using SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B junction.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Have a SM-BTR2 on order, should be here in the next week. Then I can verify if it will work with my 6770.

The SM-BCR2 will charge and work with the E-Tube software, that is verified.

You can charge the SM-BTR2 with internal or external wiring of 6770 or 9770 using the SM-EW90-B or SM-EW90-A. The SM-EW90B is a 5 port junction box and I'm using it with my internal wiring. I have another coming with the SM-BTR2 that will also be setup with internal wiring.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

brownish

by brownish

Interesting updates for 6770.

With 9070 only just becoming available and these 6770 updates is it pretty safe to say the next iteration of Ultegra Di2 is still pretty far off?

Omiar

by Omiar

Tamu8104 wrote:You can charge the SM-BTR2 with internal or external wiring of 6770 or 9770 using the SM-EW90-B or SM-EW90-A. The SM-EW90B is a 5 port junction box and I'm using it with my internal wiring. I have another coming with the SM-BTR2 that will also be setup with internal wiring.

Thanks for the verification!
As I understand, you don't use SM-EW67A-E when using SM-EW90-B and SM-EW90-A. This would give you an extra port to plug in the charger.
Also, it should work when you use SM-EW90-B instead of JC-40/JC-41. The sizing isn't great and the extra port would be inconvenient to use, but on paper it should work.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

the charging socket on the 3 port is a separate socket to the standard junction wires, it is the same type of connection as the pc connection interface I believe. I.e. you wouldn't have to unplug any of your switch cable to charge.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Omiar wrote:As I understand, you don't use SM-EW67A-E when using SM-EW90-B and SM-EW90-A. This would give you an extra port to plug in the charger.
Also, it should work when you use SM-EW90-B instead of JC-40/JC-41. The sizing isn't great and the extra port would be inconvenient to use, but on paper it should work.

You are correct that you wouldn't use the SM-EW67A-E when using the SM-EW90-B or SM-EW90-A. I don't know if you could use the SM-EW90-B instead of the JC-40/JC-41 but I don't think you would want to. The SM-EW90 is significantly more expensive and is not meant to be the rear junction box. It's meant to be the front junction and replace the functionality of the SM-EW67 plus add the functionality of charging.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

Hubert

by Hubert

Any current 6770 owner can upgrade to the SMBTR2 if they have updated the bike's firmware to the latest version (which include multi-shift functionality).

However, if you retain the SMEW67A, you will need to remove the SMBTR2 to charge it.

Therefore, when you upgrade to SMBTR2 you should also upgrade to SMEW90A or SMEW90B as they both have the micro-USB charging port for SMBTR2.
Turn down the suck knob.

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Will the SM-BCR2 be enough to firmware update Ui2, nevermind hte charging bit.

It's only half the price of SM-PC1E

Dammit

by Dammit

I'll be finding out early next week.

dha

by dha

Have a slight indexing issue with my Ultegra Di2 at the moment. It runs fine in every gear except the second largest cog in the cassette. The rear mech clicks as if the chain is catching on a chain link. Other gears have no issue.

Could it be a mech hanger issue?

Super_fast

by Super_fast

Anders3404 wrote:Will the SM-BCR2 be enough to firmware update Ui2, nevermind hte charging bit.

It's only half the price of SM-PC1E

No it won't. I bought one and this new charger uses the additional port in the new junction boxes (the things near your stem). The connector is different so you can't stick it in with the original Ultegra group, but I'll try to hack mine a bit and see if it will work.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

This document says you need the new junction with the charging port. So, you would have to buy both a junction and the charger. Probably the same or more total cost.

http://si.shimano.com/content/si/sm/english/BatteryCharger_SM-BCR2/_jcr_content/par/sidownload/file.res/UM-7FJ0A-000-00-ENG.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com