Swapping freehubs frequently

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TTRV

by TTRV

Hi,

I'm considering buying an Ultegra 12s equiped bike but I'd keep my gravel bike which is 11s.
I'd still like to share the wheelsets I have between both bikes but it is quite a pain in the ass to change cassettes every time I'd swap wheels.

My wheelsets are all built around DT Swiss 350 hubs on which it is really easy to remove the freehub. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to swap the freehub bodies with the cassettes still attached to them rather than just swapping cassettes?
I guess it's not a part made to be changed very often so I'm concerned about damaging something but considering how easy it is to do, I'm not sure there much risk in doing so.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by TTRV on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Leave the cassette on the freehub body. The DT design makes it tool free and you are not likely to prematurely wear anything out doing this.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The one thing with which you have to be careful is the end caps and the rubber O ring that holds them in place. You will have to keep everything clean and well greased to maintain the health of the O ring and some wear may be inevitable. Also pulling of the freehub will expose the ratchet rings, springs, spacers, etc. Make sure you know your DT Swiss internals well and how to clean, grease, and reassemble them if the parts go flying, and of course protect them from any dirt/dust while exposed.

Gotta love the Sram cassettes that are one chunk of metal.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TTRV

by TTRV

Thanks for your answers! I upgraded the star ratchet on one set of wheels so I think I know the different parts in case something pops out of the body when I remove it.
I'll be careful with the O ring and to keep it well greased!