Silca brand

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petosagan

by petosagan

How silca stuff can be so expensive...
Pump floor 400-500$.
Some small tools - 200$ etc etc..

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joe1234

by joe1234

Extreme quality...

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Good marketing. Some people even think it's still classic Italian company or original Silca but it's not.

I have Eolo wallet but it's still 50€ and made in China. Do they do anything in house or are those floor pumps also made in China?

petosagan

by petosagan

joe1234 wrote:Extreme quality...
Ok but there are many good pumps @150$, so silca pump 3x more expensive
. Not sure;-)

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by petosagan on Sat May 11, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

You can buy a Silca Pista for $99. Complaining about the cost of a $500 pump is like complaining about the cost of a Rolex Submariner. There's obviously a market out there for ultra premium, high grade products.

DJT21

by DJT21

The reviews suggest they're worth it.

A WORK OF ART AND CELEBRATION OF ENGINEERING
Michael Roe on Feb 01, 2018
I was excited beyond measure when I unboxed my Silca SuperPista Ultimate floor pump on Christmas Day. It is a work of art and beauty. As a professional mechanical engineer I had researched and bought the best floor pump on the market. Every component has been well thought out, manufactured and fits perfectly. Assembling it was easy and enjoyable experience. Using it took a little bit of practice to get use to the push on and off valve chuck but after a few goes it's now so simple and easier then a lever chuck was. The gauge is clear and accurate. The spun wooden handle fits the palm of the hand nicely. The magnetic strength of the chuck locator is perfectly weighted to allow the pump to picked up by the handle. To me, pumping up your bike tyres is zen like moment of bonding with your bike before the ride. It needs to be a great positive experience of filling the tyres with positive energy to have a great ride. If you have an annoying tyre pump it will spoil the moment and the ride experience. I love this pump and realise that it is a sizeable investment but yet represents value for what you get and the joy it will bring. Highly recommended. My only suggestion to Silca would be to include a small bottle of the leather washer pump blood oil to get through the first year and a bit. Well done Josh and the whole Silca team !!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Wow, Michael Roe really seems to enjoy that pump.

If you are marketing the product as the ultimate, wouldn't it cost a lot? If you had the money and you wanted the ultimate, wouldn't you want that one? If you think it costs too much, you are not their target market.

I really do not believe their business model is to sell the most pumps, probably the best pumps. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make the best, not the most.

I'm happy with my $80 floor pump.

mattr

by mattr

Butcher wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:39 pm
I really do not believe their business model is to sell the most pumps, probably the best pumps. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make the best, not the most.
They do want to sell the most pumps, the most expensive ones.

akaspin

by akaspin

Old silca - highest quality. My 20 years old pump is perfect. New silca is complete crap.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

From what I’ve seen and experienced they have well thought out and high quality products. They also have excellent after sales support and a long warranty. I have one of their older floor pumps I got on a great sale. I personally couldn’t have justified paying full price, but I wouldn’t have criticised anyone if they did. It really is a nice pump, both aesthetically speaking and in terms of function and I’m happy with it. Whether it’s $50 or $100 better (or more depending on which model you get) than a less expensive pump is another question. I’m not in the business of buying several pumps and then comparing each of them, nor of going through a bunch of cheap ones, so ive benefited from reviews and now happy to give them my endorsement too.

I recently bought a Silca torque wrench and absolutely love it. I’m not a mechanic myself and space is limited in the city, so it serves my needs just fine.

Wookski

by Wookski

akaspin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:02 pm
Old silca - highest quality. My 20 years old pump is perfect. New silca is complete crap.
Agree- first super pista failed within 2 months (leather gasket) then had issues with the gauge. Replaced under warranty only to experience another failure with the new pump. Received a refund and replaced with an SKS rennkompressor with upgraded head (Hirame) and hose. No issues in nearly 2 years.

The two other guys I know with super pistas have also experienced issues.

When they work they’re wonderful but reliability issues are annoying.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

joe1234 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Extreme quality...
I just read the thread talking about the pump.

That's not quality. Much more "extreme" quality. The guy that reps the company isn't even trying to help the people out, he just argues with them.

MikeD

by MikeD

akaspin wrote:Old silca - highest quality. My 20 years old pump is perfect. New silca is complete crap.
Old Silca sucks hard. Both my Silca track pump and Impero pumps blow. Old Silca went out of business because they didn't modernize their product. Cudos to Josh for buying the company and transforming it into into a company offering modern, high quality products.

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Sock3t wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:22 pm
joe1234 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Extreme quality...
I just read the thread talking about the pump.

That's not quality. Much more "extreme" quality. The guy that reps the company isn't even trying to help the people out, he just argues with them.
Exactly!

I'm one of the people Josh/ Silca has screwed over, and their customer support is a complete joke.
Ended up fixing a $450 Silca SuperPista Hiro right out of the box, as they come with design flaws that makes them not work as claimed, and are generally with poor quality control.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrMagura

by MrMagura

MikeD wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 pm
akaspin wrote:Old silca - highest quality. My 20 years old pump is perfect. New silca is complete crap.
Old Silca sucks hard. Both my Silca track pump and Impero pumps blow. Old Silca went out of business because they didn't modernize their product. Cudos to Josh for buying the company and transforming it into into a company offering modern, high quality products.
Ther's absolutely no high quality about them today.
Even their tools are sub standard.
Generally the difinition of a polished turd.