SRAM Red lever tune...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

The adhesive backed felt is just from the local crafts store (Michaels). I hit it lightly with a heat gun and then sprayed it with 4 layers of Plastidip so they are sort of rubberized felt. The pair weighed 4.8 grams, I pulled them off and stuck them on the scale. I just can't get over the aesthetics of them, so it is back to rubber hoods. The weight loss is substantial though for less than $9.50.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

I like the look, Wookieopolis, or do they get messed up after riding?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I agree with theremery. I think they look awesome, plastidip... Got find me some
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

This is awesome! I'm in the process of tuning my red group right now. Got the RD down to 118 with a goal of 115 and I've removed the paint off one of the levers, next is cutting some holes! You inspired me!!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

It's people like you kevosinn that threads like these are made for. Show us some photos when you progress! :D

theremery

by theremery

Race to find plastic-dip locally Tay.......Gotta pic/link to what it looks like?? I'm looking forward to 6 weeks of dremelling and riding starting VERY soon......with the "heavy clinchers" on.....I'm aiming to have the bike under 4.5 for Brunner :) Game on! (with hill ride low eight option as previously discussed weight)....this lever tune will help.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

Drappo

by Drappo

weeracerweenie wrote:It's people like you kevosinn that threads like these are made for. Show us some photos when you progress! :D

Quote :beerchug:
Alhoa

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I used the stuff in the spray can: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

It is available at hardware stores and auto parts stores around here.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I'm going to try and find the felt and plastidip after I get off work today, ill post some Picts of my progress tomorrow
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Has anyone tried using a thin thermo-plastic that you could heat form into a hood? If you wanted to get fancy you could even vacuum form it around the lever body, leave a seam on the bottom and be able to snap it on and off. Styrene sheet is cheap, not sure about the weight though. :noidea:

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hmmm ill havce a hunt around for the plasti-dip. Here in NZ we get hardly any wierd little products like that so it might be a bit of a mission to find... Ive toyed with the idea of heat sinking the hood but havent really round any heat sink big enough yet to do the job with...

Can't wait for the pics kevosinn!!

theremery

by theremery

I sent the manufacturer of plastidip an email yesterday asking for local stockists......

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

awesome, let me know the results, and we will get cracking on somenew hoods.

UPDATE: i have gone back to standard hoods while i wait for berks lever clamps, when these arrive i will have another crack at the hoods, but i have some serious training to do and i cant deal with the constant adjustment of the felt hoods. for now the standards will have to do... :x

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

May have found a solution for my hoods! It's an adhesive backed foam and it seems like it might work good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

kevosinn wrote:May have found a solution for my hoods! It's an adhesive backed foam and it seems like it might work good!

EVA?
r o y g b i v