Toughest most durable cross tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have been offered a pair of Spinergy Rev-X wheels that I would love to put on my cyclocross bike. The only downside is that the wheels are for use with tubular tires. I know tubulars are superior to clinchers or tubeless tires when it come to CX. However, I ride my CX bike mostly on mountainbike courses and single track.

That is why I would like to ask you what the toughest most durable cross tubular is? What I have come up with so far is the TUFO Cubus tubular. It seems to last forever for the people who are using it, despite serious abuse. Can anyone confirm this or does anyone have an alternative?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

I rode Fango's last season which hardly lasted at all, definitely a race day tire. I later switched to Racing Ralph's, good tires, nice grip, wore decently. I'm currently riding Tufo Flexus Primus, and I have to say, it's by far my favorite (Now I'm just waiting to get shit for saying that :lol: ). The sidewalls don't seem to crumple in the corners so running low pressures doesn't feel awkward, and they still don't show any wear, they still look brand new.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

That is what I was hoping for :beerchug:

I already came across a similar review on a blog. Given the reputation Tufo road tubulars have (high rolling resistance, but very durable) I was hoping the same is true for their cross tubulars. Apparently it is.

On my current CX-bike I have Challenge Grifo XS tires. Aside from lacking grip on muddy parts, they just don't look like they can take a lot of beating, especially on the sidewall.

One last question: can you use Tufo tubulars with Stans sealant, since they don't have an inner tube?

monty dog

by monty dog

Tufo tubs are pretty tough IME. Best to use Tufo sealant as it is formulated for their tyres.
Just ride

Colin

by Colin

I'm not sure, I've yet to get a flat so I just haven't put any Stan's in yet.