Long-range wireless computers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Hello all,
I am on the lookout for a computer which i can use on my rear wheel, i would like to have a really accurate reading since the rides i usually do are hilly and twisty, so will involve my front wheel flailing around a bit. Any recommendations? Cadence or not, butit must be wireless, only trouble is the normal range is 80cm tops, and i need about 95 comfortably.
Thanks
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Velomann 16 fucntion with cadance. Mount on the rear stays and the one sensor picks up the pedal and spoke magnet. I use one.

rijndael

by rijndael

A Bontrager Node 2 has a range of 1.5M/5'. It works fine when paired with a Garmin GSC-10.

roca rule

by roca rule

cat eye has a computer that gets set on the chainstay and has an inner and outer sensors. i believe is called the v3. my friend has it and it seems reliable, compact and a clean installation.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

My old Polar CS600X with the WIND transmitters used to work fine with the speed sensor mounted right at the hub of the rear wheel. About as far away from the computer as you can get.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

cateye strada digital wireless can have the speed sensor mounted at the fork or chainstay. its small, clean, intuitive, robust, etc.

borja

by borja

Garmin Edge 500 or 800 has the speed/cad sensor on the back wheel

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

thisisatest wrote:cateye strada digital wireless can have the speed sensor mounted at the fork or chainstay. its small, clean, intuitive, robust, etc.

I couldn't get my Strada Wireless to work consistently when the sensor was mounted on the chainstay. That was after checking the batteries in the head unit and sensor were okay.
The manual says the max transmission range is 70cm. I was running it close to 90cm so it may work on smaller frames.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the strada digital wireless is a completely different beast from the standard strada wireless. the manual actually states it can be used for front or rear wheel. its compatible with their 2.4g speed/cadence sensor when purchased separately, and you can activate a field on the screen for cadence. it also does heart rate and comes with a heart strap, 2.4g digital of course. quite a value IMO at a little over a hundred bucks.
oh, and powerful LED lights dont affect its readings.

kman

by kman

Cateye Micro Wireless definitely would not do it. I tried to set one up on my motorbike - no good.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

bikedoc

by bikedoc

i think you'll find the front and the back wheels do the same distance, well it may be very very slightly different due to the different lines they take. Any way dont you what to know how far you have been not the wheels so really you need one on the front and one on the back then you could average the readings (-;

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

bikedoc wrote:i think you'll find the front and the back wheels do the same distance, well it may be very very slightly different due to the different lines they take. Any way dont you what to know how far you have been not the wheels so really you need one on the front and one on the back then you could average the readings (-;

Maybe not, remember the cinelli laser?

No, I am not trying to sell you something.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

wheel size affects rotating speed of the wheel not distance traveled so my comment is correct (-;

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

you may have won the battle!...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

bikedoc wrote:i think you'll find the front and the back wheels do the same distance, well it may be very very slightly different due to the different lines they take. Any way dont you what to know how far you have been not the wheels so really you need one on the front and one on the back then you could average the readings (-;

what if the bike had a reeeaaaaallly long wheelbase? and i get the idea of averaging the two wheels out, but i would find the distance from my... waist ... to the front wheel axle, and from my waist to the rear wheel axle, and use that to weight the importance of each wheel's distance. i mean, if youre gonna go through all the trouble, might as well go all the way.