Fizik K:1 .. long term feedback?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Anyone put some serious miles on their Fizik K:1 saddle yet? If so, I'd be interested to hear some feedback.. How did that gel coating hold up etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swoop

by swoop

i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.

it's a very pretty saddle... but something tells me you need to be 22 and 130 lbs to really get the best out of it.

wilmar13

by wilmar13

Will let you know... with only about 3 hours of saddle time, I am very impressed with mine so far. I did hear one crack that made me cringe when going over a pothole... but hopefully it was just "settling in".

wilmar13

by wilmar13

swoop wrote:i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.

it's a very pretty saddle... but something tells me you need to be 22 and 130 lbs to really get the best out of it.

Uh oh, I am a big strong dude 8) … hopefully I didn’t flush $300 bucks down the toilet.

swoop

by swoop

wilmar.. fizik is a do you right company. if the saddle breaks, they'll take care of you.
there is no weight limit and the two i've seen broken.. broke in the same place on the nose. neither one massively failed.. and the rails follow the outline of the saddle. the crack forms about 2.5 cm in from the tip... not where you would expect it.

i'm a big fan of fizik and am assuming its a bad batch.

wilmar13

by wilmar13

swoop wrote:wilmar.. fizik is a do you right company. if the saddle breaks, they'll take care of you.
there is no weight limit and the two i've seen broken.. broke in the same place on the nose. neither one massively failed.. and the rails follow the outline of the saddle. the crack forms about 2.5 cm in from the tip... not where you would expect it.

i'm a big fan of fizik and am assuming its a bad batch.

Oh son of a b!tch... I just got home and looked at my saddle closely and sure enough it is cracked already... right through the R in ARIONE about 5cm from the front tip. One ride and it cracked already :evil: ... yeah I guess this is a manufacturing defect. What a PITA!

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

+1

Just checked mine and it has broken in the exact same place at the nose. Pretty poor for around 700kms riding on smooth roads at 80kg in weight.

Back to the trusty toupe I think........

Maverick

by Maverick

I smell a recall coming on...

Principia

by Principia

wilmar13 wrote:Oh son of a b!tch... I just got home and looked at my saddle closely and sure enough it is cracked already... right through the R in ARIONE about 5cm from the front tip. One ride and it cracked already :evil: ... yeah I guess this is a manufacturing defect. What a PITA!

uuih! :shock: :shock:
Light- Bikes news for weightweenies | Light-Bikes on twitter

wilmar13

by wilmar13

Here is a reply I got from Fizik already:

Dear Mark,
first of all we’d like to thank you for purchasing our K:1 saddle, the top product in the Fizik range. In some of the first K:1 saddles we produced, we have found some store of epoxy resin in the carbon structure, which could cause minor cracking. This cracking will not compromise the safety of the product, but could produce some aesthetic defects. We are ready to replace the saddle but we need to receive it back for our better reference. Please use our UPS account number W58130 and send to my attention to SELLE ROYAL SPA, VIA VITTORIO EMANUELE 119, 36050 POZZOLEONE (VI) ITALY.

We are sorry for the inconvenience occurred but hope you appreciate our assistance.

Regards,
Michela

So yeah, they are doing the right thing... just the price you pay for being a first adopter sometimes I guess.

The Spider

by The Spider

swoop wrote:i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.

Swoop, your prose is pure poetry. I only wish you would be around if I was to suffer genital mutilation at the hands of high end carbon bike goods.

:D

frd

by frd

There is an article on cyclingnews about Paolini's system six, he has a K:1 saddle.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/pr ... ca_paolini

I'm not sure if it's there just for display or if he uses it really.

wilmar13

by wilmar13

FWIW, Fizik's customer service is really good. They are getting me a new saddle and not asking me to ship the old one back until I recieve the new one (it is still ridable). Again, probably just first batch problems... they will get there, at least they make the effort to do the right thing, and if their product development uses the same kind of effort, they will certainly get a great product (eventually :lol: ).

Tsielio

by Tsielio

wilmar13 wrote:Here is a reply I got from Fizik already:

Dear Mark,
first of all we’d like to thank you for purchasing our K:1 saddle, the top product in the Fizik range. In some of the first K:1 saddles we produced, we have found some store of epoxy resin in the carbon structure, which could cause minor cracking. This cracking will not compromise the safety of the product, but could produce some aesthetic defects. We are ready to replace the saddle but we need to receive it back for our better reference. Please use our UPS account number W58130 and send to my attention to SELLE ROYAL SPA, VIA VITTORIO EMANUELE 119, 36050 POZZOLEONE (VI) ITALY.

We are sorry for the inconvenience occurred but hope you appreciate our assistance.

Regards,
Michela

So yeah, they are doing the right thing... just the price you pay for being a first adopter sometimes I guess.

I also need to send back a Fizik saddle. How do you do this? I never shipped with UPS. I'm living in Belgium. Do you need to pay for the shipping yourself or will Fizik pay for this as you 'use their account number'. I don't really understand what this means.
Thanks for your help,
Tsielio

by 2011

Seems silly to ride an uncomfortable hard carbon saddle which has cracked for many people and caused nut-sack injuries... when Fizik makes a saddle (Antares 00) which is not only lighter and cheaper, but more comfortable. Unless you just want the aesthetic look of all carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com