HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:06 am
Posts: 1246
Location: A Scotsman on rock in the pacific
Anyone put some serious miles on their Fizik K:1 saddle yet? If so, I'd be interested to hear some feedback.. How did that gel coating hold up etc?

_________________
http://www.mikezagorski.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 92
i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.

it's a very pretty saddle... but something tells me you need to be 22 and 130 lbs to really get the best out of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am
Posts: 348
Location: Union of Socialist Americans
Will let you know... with only about 3 hours of saddle time, I am very impressed with mine so far. I did hear one crack that made me cringe when going over a pothole... but hopefully it was just "settling in".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am
Posts: 348
Location: Union of Socialist Americans
swoop wrote:
i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.

it's a very pretty saddle... but something tells me you need to be 22 and 130 lbs to really get the best out of it.

Uh oh, I am a big strong dude 8) … hopefully I didn’t flush $300 bucks down the toilet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 92
wilmar.. fizik is a do you right company. if the saddle breaks, they'll take care of you.
there is no weight limit and the two i've seen broken.. broke in the same place on the nose. neither one massively failed.. and the rails follow the outline of the saddle. the crack forms about 2.5 cm in from the tip... not where you would expect it.

i'm a big fan of fizik and am assuming its a bad batch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am
Posts: 348
Location: Union of Socialist Americans
swoop wrote:
wilmar.. fizik is a do you right company. if the saddle breaks, they'll take care of you.
there is no weight limit and the two i've seen broken.. broke in the same place on the nose. neither one massively failed.. and the rails follow the outline of the saddle. the crack forms about 2.5 cm in from the tip... not where you would expect it.

i'm a big fan of fizik and am assuming its a bad batch.

Oh son of a b!tch... I just got home and looked at my saddle closely and sure enough it is cracked already... right through the R in ARIONE about 5cm from the front tip. One ride and it cracked already :evil: ... yeah I guess this is a manufacturing defect. What a PITA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:11 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: Out there
+1

Just checked mine and it has broken in the exact same place at the nose. Pretty poor for around 700kms riding on smooth roads at 80kg in weight.

Back to the trusty toupe I think........


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 am
Posts: 310
Location: Melbourne, Aus.
I smell a recall coming on...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:16 am
Posts: 226
Location: Germany
wilmar13 wrote:
Oh son of a b!tch... I just got home and looked at my saddle closely and sure enough it is cracked already... right through the R in ARIONE about 5cm from the front tip. One ride and it cracked already :evil: ... yeah I guess this is a manufacturing defect. What a PITA!



uuih! :shock: :shock:

_________________
Light- Bikes news for weightweenies | Light-Bikes on twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am
Posts: 348
Location: Union of Socialist Americans
Here is a reply I got from Fizik already:

Quote:
Dear Mark,
first of all we’d like to thank you for purchasing our K:1 saddle, the top product in the Fizik range. In some of the first K:1 saddles we produced, we have found some store of epoxy resin in the carbon structure, which could cause minor cracking. This cracking will not compromise the safety of the product, but could produce some aesthetic defects. We are ready to replace the saddle but we need to receive it back for our better reference. Please use our UPS account number W58130 and send to my attention to SELLE ROYAL SPA, VIA VITTORIO EMANUELE 119, 36050 POZZOLEONE (VI) ITALY.

We are sorry for the inconvenience occurred but hope you appreciate our assistance.

Regards,
Michela


So yeah, they are doing the right thing... just the price you pay for being a first adopter sometimes I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:57 am
Posts: 392
swoop wrote:
i've got two training partners with the saddle. one is a big strong dude (not fat) that has broken two at the nose and given up and the other is a lean roadie that peeled his manbag like an orange after three hours but hasnt cracked it.


Swoop, your prose is pure poetry. I only wish you would be around if I was to suffer genital mutilation at the hands of high end carbon bike goods.

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 1452
There is an article on cyclingnews about Paolini's system six, he has a K:1 saddle.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/pr ... ca_paolini

I'm not sure if it's there just for display or if he uses it really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am
Posts: 348
Location: Union of Socialist Americans
FWIW, Fizik's customer service is really good. They are getting me a new saddle and not asking me to ship the old one back until I recieve the new one (it is still ridable). Again, probably just first batch problems... they will get there, at least they make the effort to do the right thing, and if their product development uses the same kind of effort, they will certainly get a great product (eventually :lol: ).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:15 pm
Posts: 380
wilmar13 wrote:
Here is a reply I got from Fizik already:

Quote:
Dear Mark,
first of all we’d like to thank you for purchasing our K:1 saddle, the top product in the Fizik range. In some of the first K:1 saddles we produced, we have found some store of epoxy resin in the carbon structure, which could cause minor cracking. This cracking will not compromise the safety of the product, but could produce some aesthetic defects. We are ready to replace the saddle but we need to receive it back for our better reference. Please use our UPS account number W58130 and send to my attention to SELLE ROYAL SPA, VIA VITTORIO EMANUELE 119, 36050 POZZOLEONE (VI) ITALY.

We are sorry for the inconvenience occurred but hope you appreciate our assistance.

Regards,
Michela


So yeah, they are doing the right thing... just the price you pay for being a first adopter sometimes I guess.


I also need to send back a Fizik saddle. How do you do this? I never shipped with UPS. I'm living in Belgium. Do you need to pay for the shipping yourself or will Fizik pay for this as you 'use their account number'. I don't really understand what this means.
Thanks for your help,
Tsielio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm
Posts: 177
Seems silly to ride an uncomfortable hard carbon saddle which has cracked for many people and caused nut-sack injuries... when Fizik makes a saddle (Antares 00) which is not only lighter and cheaper, but more comfortable. Unless you just want the aesthetic look of all carbon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], ewwhite, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], spdntrxi, youngs_modulus and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. BH a Ultralight mid-term ride report

in Road

willieboy

8

1224

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 am

willieboy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Workstands, PRS-20 or Feedback Sprint

in Road

jspaceman

11

864

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:34 am

fogman View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. feedback on Ridley Helium SL

in Road

chiltonp

9

1735

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm

chiltonp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Seatpost suggestions and fitting feedback

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

CBJ

22

1348

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:34 pm

CBJ View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Fizik saddles, what does the 'R' mean?

in Road

jspaceman

4

1014

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:30 pm

oreoboreo View the latest post


It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB